Architectural Designer and Technologist
New York City, NY /
Design – Design /
OXMAN is a hybrid Design and R&D company that fuses design, technology, and biology to invent multi-scale products and environments. The fusion of disciplines within our work opens previously impossible opportunities within each domain—allowing design to inspire science and science to inspire design.
At OXMAN, we question dominant modes of design that have divorced us from Nature by prioritizing humanity above all else (human-centric design). Although it is design that has caused this rift, we believe that design also offers the greatest opportunity to heal it.
We propose a Nature-centric approach that delivers design solutions by, for, and with the natural world, while advancing humanity. In this pursuit, we reject all forms of segregation and instead call for a radical synergy between human-made and Nature-grown environments.
This approach demands that we design across scales for systems-level impact. We consider every designed construct a whole system of heterogeneous and complex interrelations—not isolated objects—that are intrinsically connected to their environments. In doing so, we open ourselves up to moving beyond mere maintenance of Nature toward its advancement.
OXMAN is seeking an Architectural Designer and Technologist to join an all-star interdisciplinary team of deep thinkers and brilliant makers. This person holds the ability to design, plan, and coordinate the creation of the Nature-centric built environment. In this role, they will craft spaces across scales using alternative materials and novel fabrication methods, working closely with biologists, computational designers, engineers, and experts in other disciplines to explore new material systems, synthesizing different domains harmoniously through a critical architectural lens. Successful applicants will approach the design and engineering sides of architecture in an integrative manner, finding elegance in the technical aspects of detailing and construction, and solving challenges with creativity and innovation. A holistic perspective on work culture, communication, and collaboration is desired.
- Lead the development of technical strategies as well as software and hardware solutions to architectural challenges in the built environment of the future.
- Actively contribute to all phases of a project, from initial brainstorming to construction administration and risk assessment to fabrication.
- Translate the team's sketches and ideas into practical design solutions, taking an openminded and innovative approach to fabrication and construction methods.
- Draft architectural drawings and renderings using computer-aided design software.
- Create physical prototypes using advanced digital fabrication techniques.
- Maintain knowledge of current architectural technical standards, material systems, and processes.
- Manage relationships with clients and facilitate discussions of design requirements.
- Manage architectural assets, including documentation, exchanges, drawings, files, and other vital information related to the projects.
- Collaborate with a multidisciplinary team of engineers, biologists, and designers.
- Engage in design reviews, presentations, and other team development processes, providing constructive and timely feedback, with an emphasis on visual communication of ideas through sketches, drawings, and renderings.
Qualifications & competencies
- MA or BA degree in architectural design, building technology, or relevant fields.
- Minimum 4 years of experience in an architecture studio.
- Portfolio demonstrating out-of-the-box thinking and stellar taste in design.
- Strong understanding of structural concepts and material properties.
- Proficiency with 3D modeling tools such as Revit, Rhino, and Grasshopper.
- Mastery of Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator).
- Excellent hand-sketching, verbal, and visual communication skills.
- Strong “maker” mindset and skill set.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment.
- Independent, self-motivated, detail-oriented, accurate, and highly organized.
- Strong commitment to the team; maintains positive working relationships with diverse people, including internal team and external partners.
- Embodies ethics and integrity in all work, respecting both company and broader community policies in all conduct.
Interested candidates should please apply online at https://oxman.com/careers.
OXMAN does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.