Marketing and Communications Manager
New York City, NY /
Communications – Communications /
OXMAN is a hybrid Design and R&D company that fuses design, technology, and biology to invent multi-scale products and environments. The fusion of disciplines within our work opens previously impossible opportunities within each domain—allowing design to inspire science and science to inspire design.
At OXMAN, we question dominant modes of design that have divorced us from Nature by prioritizing humanity above all else (human-centric design). Although it is design that has caused this rift, we believe that design also offers the greatest opportunity to heal it.
We propose a Nature-centric approach that delivers design solutions by, for, and with the natural world, while advancing humanity. In this pursuit, we reject all forms of segregation and instead call for a radical synergy between human-made and Nature-grown environments.
This approach demands that we design across scales for systems-level impact. We consider every designed construct a whole system of heterogeneous and complex interrelations—not isolated objects—that are intrinsically connected to their environments. In doing so, we open ourselves up to moving beyond mere maintenance toward the advancement of Nature.
OXMAN is seeking a Marketing & Communications Manager to join an all-star interdisciplinary team of deep thinkers and brilliant makers. This person thrives at the intersection of brand management, community engagement, and media relations, embodying stellar written and verbal communication skills and a singular ability to leverage language as a design tool. In this role, they will mediate our public relations, including the strategy, management, and execution of content creation for our website, social media, press kits, media inquiries, and brand and product marketing. They will be responsible for nurturing strong relationships with key media outlets and influencers across channels and crafting compelling and authentic copy that can support and augment visual assets. The ideal candidate holds the capacity to navigate and resolve uncertainty, moving fluidly between the domains of art, architecture, design, science, and technology while ensuring timely, consistent, effective, and precise messaging that aligns with OXMAN’s voice and mission.
- Develop and execute a comprehensive marketing and communications strategies
- Identify new opportunities for media coverage
- Build and nurture relationships with key media outlets and influencers
- Develop content for and manage all external communications campaigns and social media platforms, including Instagram
- Analyze performance metrics to measure the effectiveness of campaigns and make data-driven decisions to optimize future campaigns
- Drive and manage community engagement
- Maintain knowledge of current industry trends and best practices
- Create systems to organize and archive all external communications materials
- Serve as an on-the-ground point person and/or spokesperson at media events
- Assist company executives in developing presentations, speeches, and messages
- Collaborate with agency partners across public relations, branding, and content creation
- Actively partner with a multidisciplinary team of professionals, including biologists, engineers, designers, and technical communications specialists across scientific and design pursuits
- Communicate ideas, work, and progress clearly, including by engaging in team meetings, presentations, and other creative communication outlets
Qualifications & competencies
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, journalism, or related fields
- Minimum 3 years of relevant professional experience
- Portfolio of highly successful communications work demonstrating out-of-the-box thinking and stellar taste, including marketing and social media campaign strategies, written articles, verbal interviews, emails, editorial, and other digital marketing materials
- Fluency in English is required; fluency in additional languages is a plus
- Knowledge of SEO and content management systems
- Exceptional interpersonal skills
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment
- Highly accountable, self-directed, and willing to roll up sleeves to move projects forward
- Strong commitment to the team; maintains positive working relationships with diverse people, including internal team and external partners
- Embodies ethics and integrity in all work, respecting both company and broader community policies in all conduct
To learn more about OXMAN’s work, please visit our website and recent press: The Wall Street Journal, Fast Company and Dezeen.
OXMAN does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
NYC Pay Range: $75,000-$138,000
Pay is based on a number of factors including market location and may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, experience, and other business and organizational needs.