Machine Learning Engineer
New York City, NY /
Engineering – Engineering /
OXMAN is a hybrid Design and R&D company that fuses design, technology, and biology to invent multi-scale products and environments. The fusion of disciplines within our work opens previously impossible opportunities within each domain—allowing design to inspire science and science to inspire design.
At OXMAN, we question dominant modes of design that have divorced us from Nature by prioritizing humanity above all else (human-centric design). Although it is design that has caused this rift, we believe that design also offers the greatest opportunity to heal it.
We propose a Nature-centric approach that delivers design solutions by, for, and with the natural world, while advancing humanity. In this pursuit, we reject all forms of segregation and instead call for a radical synergy between human-made and Nature-grown environments.
This approach demands that we design across scales for systems-level impact. We consider every designed construct a whole system of heterogeneous and complex interrelations—not isolated objects—that are intrinsically connected to their environments. In doing so, we open ourselves up to moving beyond the mere maintenance toward the advancement of Nature.
OXMAN is seeking a Machine Learning Engineer to join an all-star interdisciplinary team of deep thinkers and brilliant makers. In this position, they will contribute to database management, data analysis, machine learning architecture, modeling, and validation efforts in our organization. The primary focus is to design, optimize, and deploy machine learning pipelines using large multimodal datasets (i.e., tabular data, images, structured/unstructured text, time series, audio, biological sequences, etc.), containing heterogeneous and complex information related to biology, design, and sustainability. Experience with the design of traditional machine learning techniques and neural networks, along with a strong understanding of deep learning and the ability to build ML architectures for real-world use is desired. Successful applicants embody stellar technical skills, hold the capacity to navigate and resolve uncertainty, and demonstrate a unique “language” of biology (wetware) / computing (software) / fabricating (hardware), or a combination thereof. They have produced and can present a prolific corpus of research; exemplify a passion for systems-based thinking with a wide range of potential applications for their work; personify an appreciation for engineering, science, and art; and seek synergy between biology and technology in research, practice, and direct industrial utility.
The Machine Learning Engineer will play a key role in researching and developing novel algorithms, models, and methods for solving unique challenges of prediction/inference, knowledge search, and reinforcement learning within a variety of biological and bio-inspired systems—from single-celled organisms to whole ecologies and even biotic-abiotic hybrid systems, where autonomous robots may interact with biological organisms.
- Lead efforts to aggregate and maintain selected multimodal datasets
- Apply techniques from artificial intelligence and machine learning to develop, implement, and evaluate state-of-the-art algorithms for applications related to biology, sustainability, and environmental data
- Develop machine learning models and detailed documentation to assess system performance
- Develop scalable rules-based systems, classifiers, regressors, knowledge graphs, reinforcement learning systems, and other machine learning pipelines to support physical and digital projects within our organization
- Conduct functional analysis, design trade studies, requirements allocation, and interface definition to translate team and client requirements into hardware and software specifications
- Actively seek opportunities to publish work in top-tier journals and other platforms for diffusing scientific knowledge
- Nurture and augment the scientific vision of OXMAN, upholding core design principles and ensuring the highest and most innovative quality of work
- Actively partner with a multidisciplinary team of professionals, including other biologists, engineers, and designers, across scientific and design pursuits
- Communicate ideas, work, and progress clearly, including by engaging in team meetings, presentations, and other creative communication outlets
Qualifications & competencies
- PhD or equivalent, with a focus on computer science, artificial intelligence, machine learning, applied data science, bioinformatics, mathematics, physics, or relevant field
- Minimum 4 years of experience with machine learning
- Portfolio demonstrating out-of-the-box thinking and stellar taste in design
- Fluency with programming (e.g., MATLAB, Python, Java, C++)
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment
- Excellent independence, self-motivation, organizational skills, and attention to detail
- An interest in design, biology, architecture, artificial intelligence, and/or sustainability is a plus
- Strong commitment to the team; maintains positive working relationships with diverse people, including internal team and external partners
- Embodies ethics and integrity in all work, respecting both company and broader community policies in all conduct
OXMAN does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
NYC Pay Range: $83,000-$225,000
Pay is based on a number of factors including market location and may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, experience, and other business and organizational needs.