New York City, NY
Engineering – Engineering /
OXMAN is a hybrid Design and R&D company that fuses design, technology, and biology to invent multi-scale products and environments. The fusion of disciplines within our work opens previously impossible opportunities within each domain—allowing design to inspire science and science to inspire design.
At OXMAN, we question dominant modes of design that have divorced us from Nature by prioritizing humanity above all else (human-centric design). Although it is design that has caused this rift, we believe that design also offers the greatest opportunity to heal it.
We propose a Nature-centric approach that delivers design solutions by, for, and with the natural world, while advancing humanity. In this pursuit, we reject all forms of segregation and instead call for a radical synergy between human-made and Nature-grown environments.
This approach demands that we design across scales for systems-level impact. We consider every designed construct a whole system of heterogeneous and complex interrelations—not isolated objects—that are intrinsically connected to their environments. In doing so, we open ourselves up to moving beyond mere maintenance toward the advancement of Nature.
OXMAN is seeking an Electrical Engineer to join an all-star interdisciplinary team of deep thinkers and brilliant makers. This person thrives at the intersection of electrical design, software, firmware, printed circuit board (PCB) design, and sensor integration, grounded by a strong foundation in physics, mathematics, and core engineering disciplines. They demonstrate creativity and originality in problem-solving and problem-seeking, alongside an interest in industrial design, materials sciences, and biological processes. In this role, they will expertly build and test a variety of circuits, devices, and appliances for scientific analysis across scales and domains, leveraging fluency in a variety of programming languages for technology development. They will own the electrical domain within work of various scopes, including both client-specific design projects and longer-term internal research projects.
Successful applicants embody stellar technical skills and hold the capacity to navigate and resolve uncertainty. They have produced and can present a prolific corpus of research and experimental demonstrations rooted in sound scientific approaches and process-driven design; exemplify a passion for systems-based thinking with a wide range of potential applications for their work; personify an appreciation for engineering, science, and art; and seek synergy between biology and technology in research, practice, and direct industrial utility.
- Lead the electrical development and programming of embedded (microcontroller-based) instruments, architectures, devices, and products according to experimental specifications, from concept development to product deployment
- Lead the development of industrial automation systems for custom digital fabrication machines
- Develop fully integrated systems which could include temperature controls, precise motor controls, general sensors, operator controls, and safety systems
- Define specifications for various communication, sensor, power, and other electromagnetic systems and components
- Produce a wide range of electrical project deliverables, including subsystems, subassemblies, wiring design and schematics, and one-line diagrams
- Design and conduct tests to validate performance and compliance
- Understand industrial production processes to identify design flaws, capability limits, and potential failure mechanisms when scaling instruments beyond lab or prototype scales
- Maintain high-quality documentation of projects and research in the forms of written reports, BOMs, electronic lab notebooks, internal databases, code comments, etc.
- Nurture and augment the scientific vision of OXMAN, upholding core design principles and ensuring the highest and most innovative quality of work
- Actively partner with a multidisciplinary team of professionals, including other biologists, engineers, and designers, across scientific and design pursuits
- Communicate ideas, work, and progress clearly, including by engaging in team meetings, presentations, and other creative communication outlets
Qualifications & competencies
- BS, MS or PhD degree in electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, or related fields (e.g., physics, applied biology, computational design, biodesign, robotics)
- Minimum 3 years of experience building various classes of tools and technology for electrical engineering and embedded systems
- Portfolio of highly successful engineering and design work from conceptualization to implementation, demonstrating out-of-the-box thinking and stellar taste
- Mastery of relevant engineering tools and techniques, including PCB design, SPICE modeling, simulation software for electrical systems, and digital and physical fabrication equipment for electronics
- Fluency in a variety of programming languages (e.g., Python, Java, C, C++, SQL)
- Experience with relevant manufacturing tools and sourcing materials
- Knowledge of precision design processes, common measurement technologies, and means of production of scientific equipment is a plus
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment
- Excellent project management skills, independence, self-motivation, organizational skills, and attention to detail
- Strong commitment to the team; maintains positive working relationships with diverse people, including internal team and external partners
- Embodies ethics and integrity in all work with impeccable scientific integrity, respecting both company and broader community policies in all conduct
OXMAN does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
NYC Salary Range: $75,000-$138,000
Salary is based on a number of factors including job-related knowledge, skills, experience, and other business and organizational needs. Our compensation package also includes variable compensation in the form of year-end bonuses, benefits, immigration assistance, and equity participation.