Biological Laboratory Manager
New York City, NY /
Operations – Wet Lab /
OXMAN is a hybrid Design and R&D company that fuses design, technology, and biology to invent multi-scale products and environments. The fusion of disciplines within our work opens previously impossible opportunities within each domain—allowing design to inspire science and science to inspire design.
At OXMAN, we question dominant modes of design that have divorced us from Nature by prioritizing humanity above all else (human-centric design). Although it is design that has caused this rift, we believe that design also offers the greatest opportunity to heal it.
We propose a Nature-centric approach that delivers design solutions by, for, and with the natural world, while advancing humanity. In this pursuit, we reject all forms of segregation and instead call for a radical synergy between human-made and Nature-grown environments.
This approach demands that we design across scales for systems-level impact. We consider every designed construct a whole system of heterogeneous and complex interrelations—not isolated objects—that are intrinsically connected to their environments. In doing so, we open ourselves up to moving beyond mere maintenance toward the advancement of Nature.
OXMAN is seeking a Biological Lab Manager to join an all-star interdisciplinary team of deep thinkers and brilliant makers. We are currently building our future offices with a design atelier, wet lab, and production workshop, estimated to open in Fall 2023. The 36,000-square-foot facility will be used for a novel research and design practice that seeks to foster systemic changes in the built environment by radically realigning methods of design and production with the natural world.
The Biological Lab Manager will be responsible for establishing the new Biosafety Level 2 (BSL-2) lab including equipment and materials procurement, supply management, development of standard operating procedures, safety, and staffing. They will be responsible for ongoing management, maintenance, supervision of lab technicians, and compliance with safety regulations and laboratory protocols. The ideal candidate brings experience in both setting up and overseeing biological labs with (at a minimum) BSL-2 requirements to conduct a variety of biological, chemical, and/or physical lab experiments, often balancing multiple research tracks at once.
Successful applicants embody stellar technical skills, hold the capacity to navigate and resolve uncertainty, and demonstrate a unique “language” of biology (wetware) / computing (software) / fabricating (hardware), or a combination thereof. They personify an appreciation for engineering, science, and art and seek synergy between biology and technology in research, practice, and direct industrial utility.
- Develop and implement laboratory design and layout plans
- Set up laboratory equipment and ensure that all equipment is properly calibrated and maintained
- Develop and implement laboratory protocols and standard operating procedures (SOPs)
- Identify and order necessary supplies, reagents, and consumables
- Manage laboratory construction and renovation projects
- Develop and implement laboratory safety protocols, including hazardous waste disposal and emergency response plans
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of the laboratory, including supervising lab technicians and ensuring compliance with laboratory protocols and safety regulations
- Perform routine maintenance and troubleshooting on laboratory equipment
- Manage laboratory inventory and procurement of supplies
- Ensure that laboratory data is properly recorded and stored
- Develop and maintain relationships with suppliers, vendors, and other laboratory service providers
- Collaborate with researchers and other staff to develop and implement research projects
- Manage laboratory budget and expenses
- Ensure compliance with all applicable local, state, and federal regulations
Qualifications & competencies
- Bachelor's degree in microbiology, chemistry, or related field; a Master's degree is preferred
- Minimum 7 years of experience working in biological, chemical, and/or materials science laboratory settings, including experience managing BLS-2 laboratory operations and hazardous waste management
- Experience setting up a new biological laboratory including establishing procurement, standard operating procedures, safety, and staffing is required
- Strong knowledge of laboratory safety regulations and protocols
- Familiarity with microbiology, chemical, and tissue culture techniques and equipment, as well as plants
- Strong leadership and management skills, with experience supervising staff and overseeing laboratory operations
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to work collaboratively with researchers and staff from diverse backgrounds
- Experience developing and implementing laboratory protocols and SOPs
- Strong attention to detail and ability to maintain accurate records
- Ability to troubleshoot laboratory equipment and solve technical problems
- Occasional travel to field sites and night/weekend/holiday coverage may be required
- Must be able to stand, sit, and walk for extended periods of time; the position requires the ability to lift and carry laboratory equipment and supplies weighing up to 50 pounds
OXMAN does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
NYC Pay Range: $75,000-$150,000
Pay is based on a number of factors including market location and may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, experience, and other business and organizational needs.