New York City, NY
Engineering – Engineering /
OXMAN is a hybrid Design and R&D company that fuses design, technology, and biology to invent multi-scale products and environments. The fusion of disciplines within our work opens previously impossible opportunities within each domain—allowing design to inspire science and science to inspire design.
At OXMAN, we question dominant modes of design that have divorced us from Nature by prioritizing humanity above all else (human-centric design). Although it is design that has caused this rift, we believe that design also offers the greatest opportunity to heal it.
We propose a Nature-centric approach that delivers design solutions by, for, and with the natural world, while advancing humanity. In this pursuit, we reject all forms of segregation and instead call for a radical synergy between human-made and Nature-grown environments.
This approach demands that we design across scales for systems-level impact. We consider every designed construct a whole system of heterogeneous and complex interrelations—not isolated objects—that are intrinsically connected to their environments. In doing so, we open ourselves up to moving beyond mere maintenance toward the advancement of Nature.
OXMAN is seeking a Mechanical Engineer to join an all-star interdisciplinary team of deep thinkers and brilliant makers. This person demonstrates creativity and originality in problem-solving and problem-seeking, alongside an interest in materials sciences and biological processes. In this position, they will build machines and design new manufacturing and fabrication processes that enable the realization of innovative materials, technologies, prototypes, and products. They will own the mechanical domain within work of various scopes, including both client-specific design projects and longer-term internal research projects.
Successful applicants embody stellar technical skills, hold the capacity to navigate and resolve uncertainty, and demonstrate a unique “language” of biology (wetware) / computing (software) / fabricating (hardware), or a combination thereof. They exemplify a passion for systems-based thinking with a wide range of potential applications for their work; personify an appreciation for engineering, science, and art; and seek synergy between biology and technology in research, practice, and direct industrial utility.
- Lead mechanical design at all project stages, from concept development to product fruition
- Research and develop Nature-centric design solutions to technical problems, grounded in theories and first principles of science and mathematics
- Translate the team's sketches and ideas into practical design solutions, taking an open-minded, innovative, and process-driven approach
- Prepare and review drawings, specifications, and models at various levels of polish
- Develop and conduct tests for system performance and engineering design validation, including design-level calculations, simulations, and analysis
- Manage engineering assets, including documentation, exchanges, drawings, files, and other vital information related to the projects
- Maintain knowledge of current technical standards, material systems, and processes
- Nurture and augment the design vision of OXMAN, upholding core design principles and ensuring the highest and most innovative quality of work
- Actively collaborate with a multidisciplinary team of engineers, biologists, and designers
- Engage in design reviews, presentations, and other team development processes, providing constructive and timely feedback, with an emphasis on visual communication of ideas through sketches, models, and renderings
Qualifications & competencies
- Portfolio demonstrating out-of-the-box thinking and stellar taste in design
- MS or BS degree in mechanical engineering, industrial design, or relevant fields
- Minimum 4 years of experience in a professional environment
- Mastery of CAD/CAE software (e.g., AutoCAD, Fusion 360, Solidworks)
- Proficiency with simulation and analysis tools (e.g., spreadsheets, MATLAB, FEA)
- Experience with electromechanical hardware (e.g., motors, sensors, PCB assemblies)
- Experience with manufacturing tools, (e.g., CNC routers, robotic arms, 3D printers)
- Knowledge of the fundamental physics and environmental interactions that influence design (i.e., thermal, structural, vibration, dynamics)
- Knowledge of electronics design is a plus
- Interest in design, biology, architecture, materials science, and/or sustainability is a plus
- Strong logic, reasoning, and problem-solving skills to identify and evaluate multiple hypotheses, solutions, conclusions, or approaches
- Strong “maker” mindset and skill set
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent independence, self-motivation, organizational skills, and attention to detail
- Strong commitment to the team; maintains positive working relationships with diverse people, including internal team and external partners
- Embodies ethics and integrity in all work, respecting both company and broader community policies in all conduct
OXMAN does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
NYC Salary Range: $75,000-$138,000
Salary is based on a number of factors including job-related knowledge, skills, experience, and other business and organizational needs. Our compensation package also includes variable compensation in the form of year-end bonuses, benefits, immigration assistance, and equity participation.