Designer Across Scales
New York City, NY /
Design – Design /
OXMAN is a hybrid Design and R&D company that fuses design, technology, and biology to invent multi-scale products and environments. The fusion of disciplines within our work opens previously impossible opportunities within each domain—allowing design to inspire science and science to inspire design.
At OXMAN, we question dominant modes of design that have divorced us from Nature by prioritizing humanity above all else (human-centric design). Although it is design that has caused this rift, we believe that design also offers the greatest opportunity to heal it.
We propose a Nature-centric approach that delivers design solutions by, for, and with the natural world, while advancing humanity. In this pursuit, we reject all forms of segregation and instead call for a radical synergy between human-made and Nature-grown environments.
This approach demands that we design across scales for systems-level impact. We consider every designed construct a whole system of heterogeneous and complex interrelations—not isolated objects—that are intrinsically connected to their environments. In doing so, we open ourselves up to moving beyond mere maintenance of Nature toward its advancement.
OXMAN is seeking designers operating across scales and domains* to join an all-star interdisciplinary team of deep thinkers and brilliant makers. Successful applicants embody stellar technical skills in their respective field(s)*, can self-direct, and demonstrate a unique “language” of computing (software) / fabricating (hardware) / growing (wetware), or a combination thereof. They have produced and can present a prolific corpus of digital and/or physical expressions rooted in process-driven design; exemplify a passion for systems-based thinking with a wide range of potential applications for their work; personify an appreciation for science; and seek synergy between biology and technology in research, practice, or their unity. Successful candidates embody a “taste in being” combining the ability to take initiative with an aptitude for nurturing collaborative teamwork across disciplines. Industry experience combined with the ability to lead research, produce striking work, and maintain intellectual and aesthetic “freshness” is desirable.
*Potential domains may include product design, apparel design, architectural design, urban design, landscape design, computational design, biodesign, digital fabrication, robotics, wet artificial intelligence, and more.
- Lead design projects across all stages, from concept development to product fruition.
- Design processes, technologies, and products across scales and modes of production.
- Nurture and augment the design vision of OXMAN, upholding core design principles and ensuring the highest and most innovative quality of work.
- Incorporate scientific methods and sensibility alongside research and artistic principles in the design process.
- Apply advanced physical fabrication and digital tools for experimentation and design research.
- Collaborate with a multidisciplinary team of engineers, biologists, and designers.
- Communicate ideas, work, and progress clearly, including by engaging in team meetings, presentations, and other creative communication outlets.
Qualifications & competencies
- Minimum 8 years of experience in a design or architecture studio.
- Portfolio of highly successful design work from conceptualization to commercialization, demonstrating out-of-the-box thinking and stellar taste in design.
- Fluency in relevant design tools, including drawing, 3D modeling, and rendering tools.
- Experience with relevant manufacturing tools, including CNC routers, robotic arms, and 3D printers.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment.
- Excellent project management skills, independence, self-motivation, organizational skills, and attention to detail.
- Strong commitment to the team; maintains positive working relationships with diverse people, including internal team and external partners.
- Embodies ethics and integrity in all work, respecting both company and broader community policies in all conduct.
OXMAN does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.