New York City, NY /
Finance – Accounting /
OXMAN is a hybrid Design and R&D company that fuses design, technology, and biology to invent multi-scale products and environments. The fusion of disciplines within our work opens previously impossible opportunities within each domain—allowing design to inspire science and science to inspire design.
At OXMAN, we question dominant modes of design that have divorced us from Nature by prioritizing humanity above all else (human-centric design). Although it is design that has caused this rift, we believe that design also offers the greatest opportunity to heal it.
We propose a Nature-centric approach that delivers design solutions by, for, and with the natural world, while advancing humanity. In this pursuit, we reject all forms of segregation and instead call for a radical synergy between human-made and Nature-grown environments.
This approach demands that we design across scales for systems-level impact. We consider every designed construct a whole system of heterogeneous and complex interrelations—not isolated objects—that are intrinsically connected to their environments. In doing so, we open ourselves up to moving beyond mere maintenance toward the advancement of Nature.
OXMAN is seeking a meticulous and detail-oriented Accountant with accounts payable experience to support our accounting and finance function. This person shares our mission and is committed to its success, is passionate about building scalable world-class processes, and serves as a trusted advisor to the Controller and Chief Financial Officer, as well as the rest of the team. In this role, they will be responsible for the day-to-day accounts payable processing, including the timely recording and payment of vendor invoices and assisting with the accounting and reporting function, the monthly and quarterly close process, financial statement preparation, and cash management. In addition, they will drive continuous improvement for the company as it grows, proactively identifying creative and efficient ways to manage their function and taking a rigorous, analytical approach to problem-solving.
The ideal candidate will offer 2+ years of work experience excelling in high-growth, fast-paced professional environments. They demonstrate a willingness to roll up their sleeves to get things done, strong communication skills, extraordinary work quality and attention to detail, adaptability, independence, and the ability to self-direct.
This position reports directly to the Controller.
- Assist in the development of processes and systems to support the organization as it grows and scales
- Assist the Controller in ensuring that fixed assets and capital improvement projects are capitalized and depreciated in accordance with GAAP and company policy
- Assist in the development and implementation all accounting policies and procedures
- Assist in the design, implementation, communication, and maintenance of financial controls
- Analyze information and evaluate results to recommend the best solution to solve problems
- Develop specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish each responsibility
- Advocate sound financial and business decision-making
Closes & financial statement preparation
- Assist in the monthly/quarterly/annual closing process
- Assist in the reconciliation of the balance sheet and P&L
- Assist in the preparation of quarterly/annual financial statements in accordance with GAAP
- Keep up-to-date technically on new accounting standards and pronouncements
- Review and record invoices from vendors to ensure accuracy in billing
- Obtain appropriate approvals prior to payment; generate and maintain purchase orders
- Manage timely, accurate payments to vendors, consultants, and contractors
- Maintain 1099s and generate filing information at year-end
- Review and analyze employee spending in Ramp
- Perform reconciliation between books and payment reports
- Monitor bank activities to ensure transactions are summarized and categorized appropriately in the books and records
- Monitor and report KPIs across the enterprise, actively resolve issues as they arise with banking partner and internal team
- Communicate liquidity needs and cash requirements to the Controller and CFO
Qualifications & competencies
- Minimum 2 years of professional experience in general accounting roles with a mix of experience in public and private accounting
- A CPA license or someone working toward their license is preferred
- Hands-on experience with a wide variety of financial transactions
- Ability to understand and execute the end-to-end accounting process, from transaction capture to period-end reporting
- Proficiency in NetSuite, Microsoft Office, QuickBooks, and Google Workspace
- Clear, tactful written and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic, entrepreneurial environment
- Independent, self-directed, highly motivated, intellectually curious, and driven to take initiative
- Strong project management and organization skills, meticulous attention to detail
- Strong commercial instinct and ability to perform under pressure and tight deadlines
- Strong commitment to the team; maintains positive working relationships with diverse people, including internal team and external partners
- Embodies ethics, confidentiality, and integrity in all work, respecting both company and broader community policies in all conduct
Interested candidates should please apply online at https://oxman.com/careers.
OXMAN does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
NYC Pay Range: $45,000-$85,000. This range does not include discretionary bonus or other forms of compensation, such as equity, offered in connection with this job. Pay is based on a number of factors including market location and may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, experience, and other business and organizational needs.