Chicago IL, Sarasota FL, Remote (Canada/US) /
Obie is reinventing the commercial insurance process. We offer property and casualty insurance specifically designed for landlords and real estate investors. Whether you're a seasoned investor or just starting out, Obie makes requesting a quote and getting coverage simple and transparent.
This roll requires that you must have insurance industry legal experience in P&C.
At Obie the General Counsel will be responsible for providing legal advice and counsel for all things insurance with a primary role in rate filings, State DOI relationship management, regulatory, compliance, dispute resolution, and claims.
This person will collaborate and align on strategy, action planning, and communication with client, business units, and other areas of Law & Regulations and outside counsel related to the insurance industry. General Counsel will be responsible for proactively counsels clients on emerging legal issues and risk. Counsels clients on strategic initiatives, and serves on project teams as needed to provide legal advice. Reviews and delegates new matters. Provides project management, coordination, and collaboration between legal teams within L&R and with business clients. Conducts research, substantive drafting, reviewing, advising, and negotiating for more complex matters. Provides budget oversight.
Possess a Juris doctorate and an license to practice law in Illinois or Florida (and/or other states as required)
7+ years related experience
Insurance industry experience preferred, and experience within a reputable law firm or an in-house legal department for a mid- to large-sized organization
- Intermediate skills/abilities/experiences in the following areas:legal knowledge, business knowledge, issue management, analytical skills, influencing others, coaching and development, self-development, and productivity
- Computer skills, including MS Office suite, used in or related to the tasks performed
- Exercises discretion and maintains confidentiality of sensitive information
- Demonstrates ethics and integrity
- Knowledge of legal holds and discovery processes
- Budget management skills
- Project management skills and law firm/vendor management experience
- Able to interact with all levels of personnel and supervise/oversee the work of more junior resources
- Utilizes subject matter expertise to coach and guide less experienced team members
- Lead company compliance and regulatory initiatives including filing all holding company filings
- License filings including COA expansions, notice filings, and oversight of company statutory filings
- Advise leadership on a complete array of regulatory and compliance issues and act as a subject matter expert on all facets of insurance products and applicable state and federal laws and regulations with strong emphasis on commercial lines
- Oversight rate, rule and form filings by Programs
- Formation of additional subsidiaries or insurance companies as determined by leadership
- Complaint oversight and management
- Regulatory audit or inquiry oversight
- Insurance Product
- Lead for insurance products reviews, approvals, and regulatory filings
- Reinsurance contracts
- Program agreements
- Claims Agreements
- Other various contracts supporting the Obie organization.
- Claims compliance
- Oversight and alignment of claims for each of the programs and within the larger Obie organization and TPA's
- Oversee claims litigation and maintain accurate litigation logs
- Oversee audit of programs, not less frequently than Annually
- Apply sound business acumen in providing timely, thoughtful and comprehensive legal advice in support of organizational strategies
- Demonstrate exceptional communication (oral and written), presentation and interpersonal skills and convey complex issues to legal and non-legal professionals at all levels.
- Set internal governance policies and manage the impact of external factors
- Evaluate and weigh multiple inputs and impacts of any decision or course of action
- Anticipate issues and estimate risks strategically
- Work with external parties (regulators, external counsel, politicians, clients)
- Draft agreements that minimize risks and maximize legal rights
What draws people to Obie
We are a venture-backed technology company. Our early success is due to the strength of our team. We recognize that our product is only as good as the people building and promoting it. We are a curious, creative, and analytical team, passionate about solving problems. Ask anyone who works here and you’ll hear similar reasons for why they joined:
Impact. By challenging the way it’s always been done, we solve problems that have a huge impact.
Autonomy. The opportunities to contribute and grow are limitless
Collaboration. We value rich discussion and multiple perspectives because we recognize it results in stronger outcomes.
People. We are inspired by the collection of smart, creative, and solutions-oriented people around us.
Obie has you covered
Being in the insurance industry, we understand the importance of comprehensive benefits for you and your family. These are just some of the benefits and perks we provide:
Unlimited vacation policy with a required minimum to support a healthy work-life balance
Equipment budget - everything you need to do your best work
Great healthcare, dental, and vision coverage
Group training and individual professional development support
Company off-sites to support team development (as COVID allows)
We will be testing a summer hours this year