Business Development Representative (BDR)
Chicago, IL /
Obie is an insurance technology company, hyper-focused on driving value for the modern real estate investor and the partners they work with every day. Whether an owner, lender, agent, or property manager, Obie’s mission is to build technology and insurance products that drive efficiency and fundamentally change the way insurance is bought and sold.
As the industry leader in embedded and instant insurance products, Obie was recently honored as Business Insurance Best Places to Work and one of Inc Magazine's Fastest Growing Companies for 2022. Obie is one of a small number of companies that are both a Y-Combinator and NAR REACH accelerator alum.
To date, Obie has raised $13.7 million from leading proptech investors including Battery Ventures, Thomvest Ventures, MetaProp, Second Century Ventures, and Funders Club. The company has two offices, one in Chicago, IL and the other in Sarasota, FL, but also offers employees the option to work remotely.
Brief Summary of Role
The Sales Development Representative is responsible for identifying and creating new qualified opportunities for the Obie partnerships team. This role manages the outbound campaigns of Obie’s Channel Partner sales by qualifying leads and identifying critical decision makers to successfully position the Obie value proposition.
What You'll Do
- Prospect, educate, qualify and develop partner leads through effective communication and follow-up
- Conduct high-volume outreach (email, call, social) to potential customers and generate interest in Obie’s products and services
- Leverage sales tools such as Outreach, Apollo and Linkedin to network with potential partners
- Gain business knowledge through researching how different businesses operate, leadership structures, what their pain points are and challenges they face every day
- Perform the functions associated with growing, organizing, and maintaining a database of leads, prospects, and partners
- Interface with high-level executives within your lead database
- Manage day-to-day activities to hit/exceed KPIs
- Track and report on all outbound activities and results using Salesforce
- Stay current with industry trends and developments, and communicate relevant information to our Partnerships, Sales, Risk and Marketing teams
What You’ll Bring
- Undergraduate Degree from an accredited College or University in applicable field
- 1-2 years experience in marketing, BDR/SDR, or selling technology-related solutions
- Proficiency with G-Suite and Microsoft Office Suite; bonus points if you have experience with Outreach, Salesforce, Apollo or other marketing automation tools
- High energy, enthusiastic, passionate sales professional
- High desire to work in a startup environment with a can-do, positive attitude
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Top notch interpersonal skills
- Intellectually curious and resilient in the face of objections and rejection
- Positive energy is contagious - you find ways to motivate yourself and your teammates
- Highly organized and able to adapt to changing priorities
- Highly preferred: Chicago-based candidate with the ability to work in-person to the Chicago office at least 2 days a week
We want you at your best, and won't be giving you any gotcha-style questions - we aren't like that. We want to get to know you, hear about what you're interested in, and learn about what you hope to do in the future.
You should familiarize yourself with these resources before continuing:
a. Our company’s blog to learn more about the space we’re working in, where we write about landlord insurance.
b. Check out our Twitter and LinkedIn to get a glimpse of how people interact with our brand and product.
c. Some posts with and about us around the web (Inc 5000, Estate Innovation, Geek Estate Blog, Business Wire)
d. Podcast appearances: (The Ryan Hanley Show, REM #22)
1. Meet us and learn about Obie
You'll first talk to Kara or Rebecca on a 30 minute call; you won't need to prepare anything in advance. The goal of this conversation is to get to know you and mutually explore if we might be a good fit for each other. You'll learn more about Obie and have a chance to ask any questions about our company, team, culture, and product.
2. Meet the hiring manager
You'll get to have a 45 minute video interview with the hiring manager for this role, Brian Harris. This discussion will be more technical in nature to ensure you have the skills needed to be successful in the role.
3. Project exercise
This role requires strong research and communication skills, so we’ll present you with a short exercise to complete to provide you a chance to flex those muscles. You will be able to complete this exercise on your own time, so please be thorough and use the resources available to you. We'll be looking to see your prospecting abilities, writing and communication skills. More on this when you get there!
4. Meet the team
Since you'll be joining a close-knit team, we'll ask you to meet other people in the company so we get to know each other a bit better.
Obie has you covered
Being in the insurance industry, we understand the importance of comprehensive benefits for you and your family. These are just some of the benefits and perks we provide:
Flexible time off with an encouraged minimum time away to support a healthy work-life balance
12 weeks of Paid Parental Leave
Great health, dental and vision coverage
Flexible Spending & Health Savings Accounts
Pet Insurance Reimbursement
Equipment budget - everything you need to do your best work
Professional development support