Financial Analyst II
Finance & Accounting /
At Obie, we are shaking up landlord insurance, making it easily available for landlords and real estate investors both when and where they need it. With a focus on driving efficiency and innovation for our customers and within our team, we’re on the search for new talent that can take Obie to the next level.
At Obie, you’ll collaborate with a diverse team that embraces evidence-based decision making, learns from failure, accepts feedback, and is always prepared to make changes for the better. You’ll be expected to operate with flexibility and leverage your curiosity to drive innovation while collaborating with colleagues across teams and areas of expertise. Our ideal teammates are kind, passionate, committed to excellence and eager to nerd out over the best ways to make Obie even better.
Our Chicago based employees are hybrid, and expected to be in office on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
The Financial Analyst II is responsible for monthly, quarterly and annual financial reporting to both internal and external stakeholders. This role is responsible for assisting in the maintenance of the budget and forecast preparation and the monitoring of actuals vs plan for the organization. This role will be responsible for the maintenance of analytics to assist management with financial planning and decision making as well as assisting in the maintenance and implementation of key accounting systems and internal controls. This position reports to the Head of Accounting and Finance with heavy collaboration across key management roles.
What You'll Do:
- Producing monthly & quarterly reporting for executive leadership and external stakeholders
- Develop and maintain a modeling framework to evaluate the financial performance of our insurance product and revenue channels
- Assist in the creation and maintenance of the budget and revenue forecast models, and collaborate with the executive team and department heads to prepare long-term financial plans, and other budget and financial reports
- Monitor actual sales performance against forecasts and identify reasons for variances, providing insights for future planning and decision-making
- Monitor expense results against budget and identify reasons for variances, providing insights for future planning and decision-making
- Working with leaders across the organization to quantify strategic initiatives and provide what-if analysis to help inform action plans
- Assists with the maintenance and review of the general ledger to ensure the completeness and accuracy of financial reporting
- Assist with the development and maintenance of internal controls over financial reporting
What You'll Bring:
- Degree in Accounting/Finance, or related degree
- 5+ years of experience working in Accounting/Finance
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel for financial modeling & data analysis
- Experience using Sigma (or similar business intelligence and data visualization tool) to monitor & analyze business performance
- Creative problem-solver with strong quantitative skills that can spot patterns, trends, and opportunities in data and proactively seek process improvement opportunities
- Ability to work with various levels of management and to influence others without formal authority
- Maintain a high level of integrity, confidentiality and professional skepticism
- Experience and skilled at working in a collaborative and fast-moving environment
We want you at your best, and won't be giving you any gotcha-style questions - we aren't like that. We want to get to know you, hear about what you're interested in, and learn about what you hope to do in the future.
You should familiarize yourself with these resources before continuing:
a. Our company’s blog to learn more about the space we’re working in and where we write about landlord insurance.
b. Check out our Twitter and LinkedIn to get a glimpse of how people interact with our brand and product.
c. Some posts with and about us around the web (Inc 5000, Estate Innovation, Geek Estate Blog, Business Wire, Innovate State)
d. Podcast appearances: (The Ryan Hanley Show, REM #22)
1. Meet us and learn about Obie
You'll first talk to Mary on a 30-minute call; you won't need to prepare anything in advance. The goal of this conversation is to get to know you and mutually explore if we might be a good fit for each other. You'll learn more about Obie and have a chance to ask any questions about our company, team, culture, and product.
2. Meet the hiring manager
You'll have a 45-minute video interview with the hiring manager David. This discussion will be more technical in nature to ensure you have the skills needed to be successful in the role.
3. Project exercise
This role requires strong quantitative, analytical, collaboration, and communication skills, so we'll also present you with a short exercise to complete to provide you a chance to flex those muscles. You will be able to complete this exercise on your own time, so please be thorough and use the resources available to you. More on this when you get there!
4. Meet the team
Since you'll be joining a close-knit team, we'll ask you to meet other people in the company so we get to know each other a bit better.
More About Obie
Founded in 2017, Obie is paving a new path in insurance for landlords and real estate investors. Obie’s goal is to fundamentally change how insurance is bought and sold by building technology and insurance products that increase ease and accessibility for the 17 million residential real estate investors and landlords in the US. Obie offers a superior insurance experience, allowing real estate investors and landlords to obtain the right coverage where it’s most convenient for them, whether that means using our digital quote tools, working with independent agents, or finding us through our integrations with industry partners.
With over 6,000 active policy holders, and over $20 billion in coverage secured, Obie has still barely scratched the surface of its growth potential. That growth is supported by $39 million secured in funding, positioning it perfectly to continue revolutionizing the industry.
Obie has you covered
Being in the insurance industry, we understand the importance of comprehensive benefits for you and your family. These are just some of the benefits and perks we provide:
Flexible time off with an encouraged minimum time away to support a healthy work-life balance
12 weeks of Paid Parental Leave
Great health, dental and vision coverage
Flexible Spending & Health Savings Accounts
Pet Insurance Reimbursement
Health and wellness benefit
Equipment budget - everything you need to do your best work
Professional development support