Chicago IL, Sarasota FL, Remote (Canada/US) /
Data Science/Actuarial /
Obie is reinventing the commercial insurance process. We offer property and casualty insurance specifically designed for landlords and real estate investors. Whether you're a seasoned investor or just starting out, Obie makes requesting a quote and getting coverage simple and transparent.
Obie’s insurance underwriting team is searching for an Actuarial Analyst to assist in the development and execution of pricing and underwriting risk. This includes extensive statistical insurance reviews that require analysis of trends, factors, issues, competitive analysis, and rate level indications for use in pricing and underwriting.
You are creative, self-motivated, and eager to tackle problems in a fast-paced startup environment. You have a strong understanding of the techniques utilized in the actuarial and insurance industry - and are eager to innovate or challenge them. You’re able to identify and balance solving the long-term vs. short-term goals of the company by leveraging data-driven results. You are a highly effective communicator and have the ability to define processes that are modern and robust.
What you'll do
- Utilize modern statistical modeling and data science techniques with internal/external data to identify drivers of loss cost, frequency, and severity to help influence pricing and underwriting decisions.
- Provide support for existing portfolio and expansion plans - both in geography and product - through analytics in product design, portfolio management techniques, and rate filings.
- Collaborate cross-functionally to help develop enhanced reporting models and metrics to better monitor portfolio trends and loss drivers.
- Lead periodic reviews and deliver insights for different stakeholders (including indications, product development, and reserving).
- Use technology to make these processes efficient and scalable in a growing, lean company.
What we're looking for
- 2-4 years of professional experience in an actuarial related role in commercial or personal lines insurance.
- Strong research, statistical, analytical, and mathematical skills with ability to conduct analysis on limited and/or unstructured data.
- Understanding of actuarial and insurance concepts such as trends, indications, loss cost modeling, reserving, rate filing and other key metrics.
- Strong SQL and Excel skills are required.
- Experience with R or Python is preferred.
- ACAS minimum preferred.
- Demonstrate project management and problem-solving skills.
What draws people to Obie
We are a venture-backed technology company. Our early success is due to the strength of our team. We recognize that our product is only as good as the people building and promoting it. We are a curious, creative, and analytical team, passionate about solving problems. Ask anyone who works here and you’ll hear similar reasons for why they joined:
Impact. By challenging the way it’s always been done, we solve problems that have a huge impact.
Autonomy. The opportunities to contribute and grow are limitless
Collaboration. We value rich discussion and multiple perspectives because we recognize it results in stronger outcomes.
People. We are inspired by the collection of smart, creative, and solutions-oriented people around us.
Obie has you covered.
Being in the insurance industry, we understand the importance of comprehensive benefits for you and your family. These are just some of the benefits and perks we provide:
Unlimited vacation policy with a required minimum to support a healthy work-life balance
Equipment budget - everything you need to do your best work
Great healthcare, dental, and vision coverage
Group training and individual professional development support
Company off-sites to support team development (as COVID allows)
We will be testing a summer hours this year