Senior Investigator, Compliance Operations, AML
United States /
Trust & Safety /
OpenSea is the first and largest marketplace for non-fungible tokens, or NFTs. Applications for NFTs include collectibles, gaming items, domain names, digital art, and many other items backed by a blockchain. OpenSea is an open, inclusive web3 platform, where individuals can come to explore NFTs and connect with each other to purchase and sell NFTs. At OpenSea, we're excited about building a platform that supports a brand new economy based on true digital ownership and are proud to be recognized as Y Combinator's #3 ranked top private company.
When hiring candidates, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in our culture, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, grow rapidly, and love our work. We also know how critical it is to celebrate and support our differences. Employing a team rich in diverse thoughts, experiences and opinions enables our employees, our product and our community to flourish. We are dedicated to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. To help facilitate this, we support remote, hybrid or onsite work at either New York City, San Francisco or the Silicon Valley for the majority of our opportunities.
At OpenSea we work hard to earn our users’ trust every day. As part of the Compliance Operations team, our investigators protect OpeSea from bad actors who may be utilizing the platform with malicious intent. This role is responsible for balancing thorough analysis and perceptive decision making with awareness and care for our impact.
We’re looking for an entrepreneur with deep AML expertise. The business we are in is unchartered territory and it will require creative thinking and design to build programs and mitigate risk in these waters. The right candidate for this role should have direct experience working with product teams, not afraid to take thoughtful risks, and be able to iterate on the fly.
- Complete strategic analysis on industry trends, vectors of exploitation, and/or emerging typologies within the crypto/web3 space
- Gather, analyze, and action behavioral signals to influence model training
- Conduct complex investigations into potential incidents of sanctions, terrorist financing, money laundering, and other illicit behavior
- Leverage experience and expertise to strategically influence the overall program
- Demonstrate sound judgment and an ability to navigate nonbinary, high-risk decisions
- Keep up-to-date with Web3 trends to stay abreast of emerging risk
- 5+ years experience in AML investigations with a minimum of 2 years directly involved in blockchain investigations
- Strong research and investigative skills;Familiarization with SQL and leveraging large data sets as part of the investigations process
- Experience working with product, engineering, legal, and other cross-functional teams
- Highly flexible and adaptable to meet the evolving needs of a high-growth, fast-paced organization
- Ability to operate independently, manage multiple priorities, and use sound judgment
- BA/BS Degree
- Experience working crypto/web3 investigations within Fintech
- CAMS Certification
- Interest in evolving sanctions and regulatory compliance trends
The base salary for this full-time position, which spans across multiple internal levels depending on qualifications, ranges between $80,000 to $160,000 plus benefits & equity.