On Chain Data Engineer
OpenSea is the first and largest marketplace for non-fungible tokens, or NFTs. Applications for NFTs include collectibles, gaming items, domain names, digital art, and many other items backed by a blockchain. OpenSea is an open, inclusive web3 platform, where individuals can come to explore NFTs and connect with each other to purchase and sell NFTs. At OpenSea, we're excited about building a platform that supports a brand new economy based on true digital ownership and are proud to be recognized as Y Combinator's #3 ranked top private company.
When hiring candidates, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in our culture, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, grow rapidly, and love our work. We also know how critical it is to celebrate and support our differences. Employing a team rich in diverse thoughts, experiences and opinions enables our employees, our product and our community to flourish. We are dedicated to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. To help facilitate this, we support remote, hybrid or onsite work at either New York City, San Francisco or the Silicon Valley for the majority of our opportunities.
OpenSea is looking for an experienced, entrepreneurial and web3 native data engineer to help build out the core data definitions of web3 and help us (and others in the broader community!) create and maintain the best abstraction tables - interpretation layer - for NFT blockchain data. This individual will work closely with our Protocol, Marketplace and Platform Engineering teams, and be an active member of the web3 data community.
- Help build and maintain both internal and external abstractions (e.g. on Dune) for core OpenSea and Seaport data tables
- Craft data transformation pipelines to combine various external datasets and internal datasets
- Work closely with the Protocol team to understand and account for the implications of protocol level changes on internal and external datasets
- Work with external analytics providers such as Dune, Nansen, Reservoir, etc. to help move us toward common standards around attribution, data accuracy, etc.
- Create monitoring and alerting to ensure data fidelity
- Design a thoughtful system of redundancies and checks across internal and external datasets so we can have deeper insight in data accuracy
- Dig deep into contract calldata and be extremely detail oriented to account for the many edge cases that will crop up to ensure our on chain datasets are as accurate as possible
- 5+ years of experience in data engineering, including fluency with Python, Airflow and Snowflake
- Ability to interpret smart contract output and work closely with blockchain engineers to understand how to extract and standardize data from different contracts
- Crypto/web3 experience, including a love for the community, and/or a degen portfolio
- Fluency with web3 analytics tools including making spells (DBT) in Dune and/or with Nansen/Google Bigquery
- Experience communicating effectively up, down and sideways across the company, with thoughtfulness around optimizing asynchronous communication and tailoring communication to different preferred styles
- Strong cross-functional skills and ability to operate under ambiguous and fast moving problem spaces
- Humility, humor, curiosity, resourcefulness and a relentless drive to grow and learn
The base salary for this full-time position, which spans across multiple internal levels depending on qualifications, ranges between $175,000 to $225,000 plus benefits & equity.