Director of Technical Accounting
San Francisco, New York or Remote /
OpenSea is the first and largest marketplace for non-fungible tokens, or NFTs. Applications for NFTs include collectibles, gaming items, domain names, digital art, and many other items backed by a blockchain. NFTs have brand new properties that go beyond traditional digital items: they’re unique, provably scarce, liquid, and usable across multiple applications. At OpenSea, we're excited about building a brand new economy from the ground up based on true digital ownership and are proud to be recognized as Y Combinator's #26 ranked top private company.
When hiring candidates, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in our culture, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, grow rapidly, and love our work. We also know how critical it is to celebrate and support our differences. Employing a team rich in diverse thoughts, experiences and opinions enables our employees, our product and our community to flourish. We are dedicated to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. To help facilitate this, we support remote, hybrid or onsite work at either New York City or San Francisco for the majority of our opportunities.
OpenSea is seeking a highly motivated leader who enjoys operating in a high-growth environment and has a strong experience in technical accounting. Reporting into our VP of Accounting, you will lead the technical accounting pillar of the organization. You will be a key Finance partner to cross-functional teams and be able to effectively communicate complex accounting issues to business partners, ensuring that relevant accounting issues are identified, resolved and documented.
- Develop and maintain company-wide accounting policies/whitepapers.
- Proactively identify, research, consult and draft technical memorandums on significant proposed and/or completed transactions and complex issues impacting the company, specifically pertaining to the cryptocurrency/digital assets industry.
- Oversee equity accounting and reporting.
- Manage the timely preparation and review of financial statements.
- Responsible for identifying, benchmarking, and documenting accounting and disclosure-related matters.
- Support the day-to-day coordination of external audit work.
- Lead in the development of internal control documentation implementation and compliance process with respect to new accounting guidance implementation, and financial statement preparation.
- Assist with all relevant corporate tax areas and be a liaison with the third-party accounting firm engaged in the corporate tax function, or other ad hoc projects.
- Continually build on technical expertise in cryptocurrency/digital assets, accounting, and financial reporting and support educational efforts on accounting and finance related topics.
- BA/BS in Accounting or related field, CPA (or equivalent) required.
- 10+ years experience in accounting or finance, preferably in the fintech/financial services industry with a mix of public/industry experience.
- Experience in, and/or an ability to address a wide variety of technical accounting issues.
- Strong work ethic and ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, specifically technical memo writing, and an ability to drive cross functional projects.