🧑🔬 Scientist, Microbiology
New York, NY /
The Microbiology Scientist will work closely with the CTO to build the core experimental platform at the heart of the company's drug discovery engine. You will design and develop high-throughput assays, plan, manage and execute all of the company's experiments through a decentralized lab, and build out our wet lab capabilities. Your work will directly lead to the discovery of new therapies and expand the capacity of the company's computational discovery platform. You will be the center of microbiology expertise in the company, working closely with clinical and data science teams to develop a new category of therapies.
Who We’re Looking For
- You have a Masters or PhD in Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Bioengineering, or a related field and at least 5 years of industry experience.
- You have experience in high-throughput microbiology experiments and designing experiments that leverage lab automation tools, and knowledge of culturing methods and quantitative functional assays.
- You have a good understanding of sequencing technologies and bioinformatics methods to characterize and analyze microbial populations.
- You have a deep understanding of the ecological dynamics of different microbiomes and/or expertise in the bacteria that typically lives in and on us.
- You have wet lab experience and a hacker mindset, with a passion for building things and finding creative solutions to complex problems.
- You are passionate to see how your preclinical work gets to the clinic in months. You have a basic understanding of the therapeutics development cycle.
- You are mission driven. You like to see immediate impact on patients, want to have an impact on the team and the company, like to get your hands dirty and are happy to go above and beyond.
- You are flexible and organized. You're detail oriented and a great planner, value documentation, and enjoy working in a dynamic remote environment.
- You are entrepreneurial and collaborative. You are able to self-manage, tackle challenges, and are a great communicator, both verbal and written.
- You have a mature mindset in ambiguous situations, helping to frame questions and seek clarity. At the same time, you can make decisions in the face of uncertainty.
- You are a clear and concise communicator, conveying information effectively in written and verbal communication. You enjoy collaborating with and guiding colleagues in a multidisciplinary team.
- Good coding skills in Python or knowledge of bioinformatics tools
- Applied and received NIH/NSF grants and have strong scientific writing skills
- Experience in studying host-microbiome interactions and an understanding of the roles of the microbiome in human health and disease.
Why Join Output Biosciences
By joining Output Biosciences, you’ll help shape the creation of a new category — preventative therapeutics — that will fundamentally change the way people live. You’ll be part of the early team pioneering a new era of drug development with unprecedented safety and speed to market. If you’re impatient to see how your work improves people’s lives and impacts the treatment and prevention of chronic disease, this is the place for you.
❤️ Heart: We foster a culture of ownership. We are assembling a team of individuals who are passionate and take pride in their contributions.
🏆 Excellence: We have an unwavering commitment to excellence and continuously challenge ourselves to reach the highest standards.
🚀 Practicality: We value practicality and results-oriented thinking. We are committed to making a tangible impact on the lives of our patients and the broader community.
📣 Honesty: We place a high value on honesty and directness. We firmly believe in addressing issues as they arise, in an open and transparent manner.
🎮 Fun: We believe that life is too short to not have fun. That's why we're committed to creating an engaging and enjoyable work environment. Our goal is to create a workplace that is fun, rewarding and fulfilling.
What We Offer
- We encourage new and different ideas, creativity and contrarian thinking. We are looking forward to further shaping our culture with early team members. You'll have a chance to make your mark!
- You own your day-to-day management. We don't care when or where you work, we care if we all hit our milestones.
- Competitive salary and equity in a growing, well-funded startup
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Healthy feedback focused environment to help you strive - leadership will have high expectations, regularly share constructive feedback, support you and help you grow, and welcome receiving feedback and ideas from you
Why you should join Output Biosciences
Output Biosciences is creating a new category of therapies that extend human healthspan by combating chronic diseases. We are pioneering a new era of therapeutics development with unprecedented safety and speed to market.
The company was founded by Mirella Mashiach, a former executive in big pharma who invested in and partnered with early-stage biotech startups, and Adi Mashiach, MD, a physician, computational biologist, and repeat founder with one successful acquisition and one NASDAQ IPO. We are proud to have the backing of world-class investors, including Y Combinator, First Round Capital, and Lerer Hippeau.
We are expanding our core team and seeking talented individuals who share our passion and commitment to making a tangible impact on people's lives.