Woburn, MA /
Phoenix Tailings – 3. Operations /
About Phoenix Tailings
Phoenix Tailings is the world’s first clean mining and metals production company. Each year, the mining industry discards over 200 billion tons of waste (tailings) and produces more than 7% of the world’s carbon emissions. Using our proprietary novel technology, Phoenix Tailings eliminates this harmful waste from the environment and sustainably creates valuable new materials used in next-generation technologies.
The foundation of Phoenix Tailings emerged from a group of friends’ backyard conversations about fixing the broken system of metals production. Today, Phoenix Tailings is one of the top sustainability startups in the world, pioneering zero-waste mining . With funding from the US Department of Energy and National Science Foundation, Phoenix has made significant progress on our clean mining mission.
Why Phoenix Tailings
At Phoenix, we believe that together, the right people can overcome any obstacle and change the world – and we’re looking for those people to join us! This is an opportunity to work in an innovative, fun, and cutting-edge environment focused on revolutionizing how the world’s primary resources are created. If you share our relentless pursuit of a better future, a passion for innovation, and are excited about working with some of the top innovators in the world, Phoenix is the place for you!
You are only crazy if you are wrong
It’s ok to be wrong
Lead with Compassion
What we do
At Phoenix, we build novel extraction and refining processing techniques and technologies for critical materials that power clean technologies with zero waste and no carbon emissions.
Learn More: Here
Who are we looking for:
We are looking for a highly technical hands-on problem solver to work as an Engineering Technician as part of our growing team. The ideal person for this role will be safety conscious, accustomed to working in high-temperature settings, and will have had some machining experience. They will be able to prioritize multiple concurrent projects and have computer/software skills to log and organize data. This role is integral to our success as we build out and deploy our proprietary rare earth metals production system.
What you will do:
- Fabricate parts related to metal production working with engineers from concept design to the final part
- Operate, maintain, monitor, and troubleshoot all the metal production equipment
- Run experiments in high-temperature resistance furnaces, creating different output metal products
- Develop and execute SOPs for production processes
- Detailed documentation of process methods and results
- Document relevant information outlined in run logs
- Construction & piping of process gas panels and distribution systems
- Ability to execute routine changes to operating parameters
- Material handling of powdered and liquid chemicals
- Wiring of instruments and other test equipment
- Mechanical assembly of parts and assemblies of production units
- Machining & Welding of fixtures and parts
- Troubleshooting equipment for mechanical and electrical issues
- Maintain clean and safe working areas
You can succeed in this role by coming prepared with the following skillsets:
- You will feel comfortable with high-temperature equipment /& able to tolerate high heat
- Previous experience in an industrial, manufacturing or assembly environment
- Strong mechanical aptitude with demonstrated ability to take conceptual drawings to assembled production units
- Knowledge of metallic materials
- Attention to details regarding machine operation
- Able to lift up to 50 lbs
- Manual dexterity and ability to work to a high degree of precision
- Must be able to tolerate respirator and other safety gear for extended periods of time
- Must be able to communicate proficiently in English as all safety material is maintained in English
Strong Candidates Will Have:
- Associates Degree or equivalent experience in shop environment
- Familiarity with high temperature systems, electrochemistry (ex. Batteries), or metal processing
- Familiarity with analytical equipment such as SEM, XRF, XRD spectroscopy, and similar
- Machine shop skills, e.g., power tools, lathe, welding, CNC, mill, etc.
- Quick study with excellent attention to detail
- Experience with tube bending and compression fittings preferred but not required
- Reading electrical diagrams and wiring low voltage instrumentation preferred but not required
- Experience working with engineering controls for reducing or eliminating respiratory hazards
At Phoenix Tailings, we have an open culture that values learning, and we are looking to grow the team with enthusiastic individuals who share our vision of sustainable mining. We offer an attractive compensation package with benefits including medical insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, and an unlimited vacation policy.
Phoenix Tailings, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and we value diversity at all levels. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), national origin, age, disability or genetic information, or any other applicable protected characteristics, and these characteristics will not be a factor for consideration of any work-related decisions (including but not limited to hiring, firing, compensation, and discipline).