VP of Engineering
Woburn, MA /
Phoenix Tailings – 1. Engineering /
About Phoenix Tailings
Phoenix Tailings is the world’s first clean mining and metals production company. Each year, the mining industry discards over 200 billion tons of waste (tailings) and produces more than 7% of the world’s carbon emissions. Using our proprietary novel technology, Phoenix Tailings eliminates this harmful waste from the environment and sustainably creates valuable new materials used in next-generation technologies.
The foundation of Phoenix Tailings emerged from a group of friends’ backyard conversations about fixing the broken system of metals production. Today, Phoenix Tailings is one of the top sustainability startups in the world, pioneering zero-waste mining . With funding from the US Department of Energy and National Science Foundation, Phoenix has made significant progress on our clean mining mission.
Why Phoenix Tailings
At Phoenix, we believe that together, the right people can overcome any obstacle and change the world – and we’re looking for those people to join us! This is an opportunity to work in an innovative, fun, and cutting-edge environment focused on revolutionizing how the world’s primary resources are created. If you share our relentless pursuit of a better future, a passion for innovation, and are excited about working with some of the top innovators in the world, Phoenix is the place for you!
You are only crazy if you are wrong
It’s ok to be wrong
Lead with Compassion
What we do
At Phoenix, we build novel extraction and refining processing techniques and technologies for critical materials that power clean technologies with zero waste and no carbon emissions.
Learn More: Here
Who we are looking for:
Phoenix Tailings is looking for an experienced VP of Engineering to join our team in Woburn. Reporting to the Chief Technology Officer, the VP of Engineering will play a key role executing on the company’s vision of zero waste metal production technology.
What you will do:
- Lead Technical Project management to ensure timely execution of the technology roadmap
- Set engineering project timelines, deliverables, budgets, and KPIs
- Identify engineering resource needs and collaborate with the executive team to ensure all technology projects are successful – on time and within budget
- Support the CTO in building and managing budgets and resource plans to bring new metals products from R&D to production
- Lead continuous improvement efforts of custom Phoenix Tailings separation and refining equipment for improved recoveries and lower processing costs
- Support operations team with equipment vendors selection and technical vetting of partners
- Plan, implement, and oversee engineering and development strategies, engineering schedules, procedures, goals, and objectives with a focus on bringing a lab pilot to commercialization
- Ensure alignment of engineering projects with the company strategy and technology vision
- Manage and mentor world-class engineers
Requirements (Your Background May Include)
- Bachelor's degree in STEM (mechanical or chemical engineering favored); master's degree preferred.
- 10+ years of progressively responsible engineering management experience, including building and growing teams
- Start-up experience required
- Experience in Metals, Mining, and Chemicals Industry preferred
We offer a competitive compensation package that is based on expertise. We also offer the following benefits:
- Healthcare, we care about you and your family: 100% Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Stock: Ownership in a fast-growing venture-backed company.
- Family Focus: Parental leave and flexibility for families.
- Time Off: Flexible vacation policy to encourage people to get out and see the world.
- Team Fun: Regularly scheduled events, annual retreats, and celebrations.
- Learning: Learning & Development Opportunities to grow your skills and career.
- Great team: Working with fun, hard-working, kind people committed to making a difference!
- Flexible culture: We are results-focused. We don’t work at the office every day.
At Phoenix Tailings, we have an open culture that values learning, and we are looking to grow the team with enthusiastic individuals who share our vision of sustainable mining. We offer an attractive compensation package with benefits including medical insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, and an unlimited vacation policy.
Phoenix Tailings, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and we value diversity at all levels. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), national origin, age, disability or genetic information, or any other applicable protected characteristics, and these characteristics will not be a factor for consideration of any work-related decisions (including but not limited to hiring, firing, compensation, and discipline).