Principal Chemical Engineer - Ferrous
Woburn, MA /
Phoenix Tailings – Engineering /
About Phoenix Tailings
Each year the mining industry produces over 200 billion tons of tailings, a waste that comes from global mining operations. Phoenix Tailings is on a mission to eliminate this environmentally harmful waste from the environment while sustainably extracting valuable materials.
What started as an ambitious project to demonstrate the ability to clean up mine tailings, from the garage of our MIT graduates, Phoenix Tailings is now a fast-growing startup that is modernizing the mining industry with its sustainable extraction technology. Phoenix has demonstrated its technology to work at the lab scale and is heading into early pilot stages. We are eager and looking to accelerate this growth by bringing on talented and hard-working people with an ambition to change the world.
Learn more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJUqZr2wKX4
Why Phoenix Tailings
At Phoenix, we believe that nothing great is ever accomplished alone or without the passion of people who push and motivate one another. If you are someone who shares our relentless pursuit of a better future, passion for innovation, and are excited about working with some of the top innovators in the world, then this is the place for you.
Our Values: Ask us about them!
You are only crazy if you are wrong
It’s ok to be wrong
Lead with Compassion
What we do
At Phoenix, we build novel chemical processing techniques and technologies that are at the forefront of extracting critical materials that were previously trapped in tailings, solving the waste remediation process of the mining industry, and revolutionizing the mining industry with our zero waste mining solutions.
Who we are looking for
Phoenix Tailings is looking for a Principal Chemical Engineer specifically focused on downstream processes expanding our iron production to join our team in Woburn. Reporting to the Chief Technology Officer, as the key leader of the iron products division, the Principal Chemical Engineer will be responsible for scaling the production of these processes essential for us to achieve our vision of a Zero Waste World.
The Principal Chemical Engineer will be a critical person, working closely with the CTO to lead the high throughput processing of iron produced from tailings.
Even though this role reports to the CTO, you will be a trusted resource for all members of the team.
What you will do:
- Lead the process development of the Phoenix Tailings’ re-mining system specifically the ferrous material processing taking a project from R&D through the feasibility stage to pilot and commercial-scale operations
- Serve as a technical expert in the cross-functional engineering team designing the pilot and commercial-scale processes (including design review facilitation)
- Develop detailed mass and energy balance models
- Develop and maintain process flow diagrams and piping and instrumentation diagrams
- Perform laboratory testing to find optimal operating conditions
- Design and model pilot plant processes and systems
- Collaborate with other senior engineers to size and source equipment that meet required specification for pilot design, build-out and operation
- Establish project timelines and execute on deliverables in a timely manner
- Develop techno-economic models with capital and operating costs and communicate results to a range of stakeholders both technical and non-technical
- Find and participate in the evaluation of new technology, new products, new materials, and their impact on the business
- Perform duties in compliance with environmental, health and safety-related site rules, policies, or governmental regulations
- Mentor and provide technical guidance as required
What you have:
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced and interdisciplinary team environment
- Ability to develop innovative solutions to challenging open-ended technical problems
- Ability to maintain schedule and work within budgetary constraints
- Ability to make tradeoff decisions based on available data and drive projects to completion
- Strong interpersonal, written communications, time management, and organizational skills
- Experience in iron ore, DRI, ferrous metals, silicates, cement, ceramics, or related industries
- Strong background in extractive metallurgical and metal reduction processes such as pyrometallurgy, electrochemical reduction, magnetic separation, fluidized beds, or hydrocyclone
- Experience with pelletization, briquetting, or other pressing techniques
- Experience working process engineering projects at all levels of details from test work program through to commissioning and process circuit optimization
- Fluency in processing simulation software such as METSIM
- Experience working at industrial sites such as field operation or plant commissioning
- Bachelor's degree required in Chemical, Materials, Mining Engineering or related field
- 10+ years of relevant experience, or advanced degree with a minimum of 7 years relevant experience
At Phoenix Tailings, we have an open culture that values learning, and we are looking to grow the team with enthusiastic individuals who share our vision of sustainable mining. We offer an attractive compensation package with benefits including medical insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, and an unlimited vacation policy. This is an opportunity to work in an innovative, exciting, and fast-paced environment focused on revolutionizing how the world’s primary resources are created.
Phoenix Tailings, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and we value diversity at all levels. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), national origin, age, disability or genetic information, or any other applicable protected characteristics, and these characteristics will not be a factor for consideration of any work-related decisions (including but not limited to hiring, firing, compensation, and discipline).