Principal Mechanical Engineer
Woburn, MA /
Phoenix Tailings – 1. Engineering /
About Phoenix Tailings
Each year the mining industry produces over 200 billion tons of tailings, a waste that comes from global mining operations. Phoenix Tailings is on a mission to eliminate this environmentally harmful waste from the environment while sustainably extracting valuable materials.
What started as an ambitious project to demonstrate the ability to clean up mine tailings, from the garage of our MIT graduates, Phoenix Tailings is now a fast-growing startup that is modernizing the mining industry with its sustainable extraction technology. Phoenix has demonstrated its technology to work at the lab scale and is heading into early pilot stages. We are eager and looking to accelerate this growth by bringing on talented and hard-working people with an ambition to change the world.
Learn more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJUqZr2wKX4
Why Phoenix Tailings
At Phoenix, we believe that nothing great is ever accomplished alone or without the passion of people who push and motivate one another. If you are someone who shares our relentless pursuit of a better future, passion for innovation, and are excited about working with some of the top innovators in the world, then this is the place for you.
Our Values: Ask us about them!
You are only crazy if you are wrong
It’s ok to be wrong
Lead with Compassion
What we do
At Phoenix, we build novel chemical processing techniques and technologies that are at the forefront of extracting critical materials that were previously trapped in tailings, solving the waste remediation process of the mining industry, and revolutionizing the mining industry with our zero waste mining solutions.
Who we are looking for
Phoenix Tailings is looking for a Principal Mechanical Engineer, specifically focused on electromechanical systems to join our team in Woburn. Reporting to the Chief Technology Officer, as the key leader of the Mechanical Engineering division, the Principal Mechanical Engineer will be responsible for designing the prototype and pilot systems essential for us to achieve our vision of a Zero Waste World.
The Principal Mechanical Engineer will be a critical person, working closely with the CTO to solve the largest problems facing Phoenix Tailings on a daily basis.
Even though this role reports to the CTO, you will be a trusted resource for all members of the team.
What you will do:
- Lead all mechanical engineering at Phoenix Tailings, focusing specifically on the build-out of our electromechanical processing systems within project timelines
- Create mechanical designs that meet both internal and external customer requirements and are optimized for production, reliability, and cost
- Design and perform both unit level and system-level testing and validation
- Develop and implement company mechanical design control procedures
- Perform design analysis, failure, and risk analyses
- Serve as a technical expert in the cross-functional engineering team designing the pilot and commercial-scale processes (including design review facilitation)
- Coordinate with multiple project stakeholders such as chemical process engineers, material scientists, and operation managers
- Interface with outside vendors, designers, or drafters to clearly communicate design requirements to ensure the accuracy of parts and subsystem manufacturing
- Find and participate in the evaluation of new technology, new products, new materials, and their impact on the business
- Performs duties in compliance with environmental, health, and safety-related site rules, policies, or governmental regulations
What you have:
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced and interdisciplinary team environment
- Ability to develop innovative solutions to challenging open-ended technical problems
- Ability to maintain schedule and work within budgetary constraints
- Ability to make tradeoff decisions based on available data and drive projects to completion
- Strong interpersonal, written communications, time management, and organizational skills.
- Proficiency in 3D CAD (SolidWorks preferred)
- Experience with rapid prototyping and traditional manufacturing methods
- Experience designing robust mechanical systems for mining or refining applications (corrosion, material selection, DFM etc)
- 10+ years of hands-on experience designing complex electromechanical products such as industrial automation equipment, batteries, metal reduction, or similar systems
- Minimum is a B.S. in mechanical engineering; M.S. or Ph.D. preferred
We offer a competitive compensation package that is based on expertise. We also offer the following benefits:
- Healthcare, we care about you and your family: 100% Medical, dental, and vision coverage for you and 50% for additional members.
- Stock: Ownership in a fast-growing venture-backed company.
- Family Focus: Parental leave and flexibility for families.
- Time Off: Flexible vacation policy to encourage people to get out and see the world.
- Team Fun: Regularly scheduled events, annual retreats, and celebrations.
- Learning: Learning & Development Opportunities to grow your skills and career.
- Great team: Working with fun, hard-working, kind people committed to making a difference!
- Flexible culture: We are results-focused. We don’t work at the office every day.
At Phoenix Tailings, we have an open culture that values learning, and we are looking to grow the team with enthusiastic individuals who share our vision of sustainable mining. We offer an attractive compensation package with benefits including medical insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, and an unlimited vacation policy. This is an opportunity to work in an innovative, exciting, and fast-paced environment focused on revolutionizing how the world’s primary resources are created.
Phoenix Tailings, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and we value diversity at all levels. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), national origin, age, disability or genetic information, or any other applicable protected characteristics, and these characteristics will not be a factor for consideration of any work-related decisions (including but not limited to hiring, firing, compensation, and discipline).