Chief Financial Officer
Woburn, MA /
Phoenix Tailings – 3. Operations /
About Phoenix Tailings
Phoenix Tailings is the world’s first clean mining and metals production company. Each year, the mining industry discards over 200 billion tons of waste (tailings) and produces more than 7% of the world’s carbon emissions. Using our proprietary novel technology, Phoenix Tailings eliminates this harmful waste from the environment and sustainably creates valuable new materials used in next-generation technologies.
The foundation of Phoenix Tailings emerged from a group of friends’ backyard conversations about fixing the broken system of metals production. Today, Phoenix Tailings is one of the top sustainability startups in the world, pioneering zero-waste mining . With funding from the US Department of Energy and National Science Foundation, Phoenix has made significant progress on our clean mining mission.
Why Phoenix Tailings
At Phoenix, we believe that together, the right people can overcome any obstacle and change the world – and we’re looking for those people to join us! This is an opportunity to work in an innovative, fun, and cutting-edge environment focused on revolutionizing how the world’s primary resources are created. If you share our relentless pursuit of a better future, a passion for innovation, and are excited about working with some of the top innovators in the world, Phoenix is the place for you!
You are only crazy if you are wrong
It’s ok to be wrong
Lead with Compassion
What we do
At Phoenix, we build novel extraction and refining processing techniques and technologies for critical materials that power clean technologies with zero waste and no carbon emissions.
Learn More: Here
Who are we looking for:
Phoenix Tailings is looking for an experienced CFO to join our team in Woburn, Massachusetts. Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the CFO will generate value for the business as one of the principal agents of change. The CFO will also create corporate strategies, design funding programs, automate processes and standardize the compliance and control structures of the business.
- Set up an efficient financial infrastructure to allow the company to scale rapidly.
- Actively manage the finance and accounting teams.
- Develop contingency measures related to proceeds investment and debt management.
- Oversee cash flow to ensure the business remains stable.
- Provide funding guidance.
- Create strategies based on data.
What you will do:
- Lead the issuance of all monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements, budgeting/forecasting, and all related reporting.
- Provide technical accounting expertise to the finance team and Executive Team.
- Work as a strategic partner with the Executive Team to provide input and guidance on controlling costs, and effective utilization of assets, to improve the overall performance and profitability of the operations.
- Lead the budgeting/forecasting and strategic planning process, including communication and approval from management and key stakeholders.
- Lead the construction of the annual operating plan and long-term strategic plans to support the company's initiatives and serve as a playbook for the growth of the business.
- Provide financial and business decision leadership support for ongoing business and developing new opportunities.
- Set targets and KPIs to ensure the desired financial outcome.
- Lead pricing/contract structure analysis.
- Develop, execute, and oversee enterprise-wide capital allocation given strategic objectives.
- Monitor financial and economic information to identify trends and indicators impacting business operations, planning, long-term profitability goals, interim risks, and investment strategies.
- Understand and provide thoughtful business-driven commentary to reporting used for P&L management.
- Execute financial process improvements by building and maintaining financial tools for analysis and modeling.
- Develop financial information to support investor engagement.
Your background may include:
- 20+ years of progressively responsible professional experience.
- Past involvement in successful venture fundraising processes is required.
- MS in Finance or MBA.
- CFA preferred.
- Bachelor's degree in STEM.(Preferred)
- Start-up experience preferred.
- Experience in the Defense, Auto, Chemicals, Mining, or Metals industries is preferred.
- Team player, able to build and maintain relationships, both internal and external.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to clearly and concisely articulate complex financial concepts.
- Technical background capable of quickly grasping scientific concepts and relating the financial impact.
We offer a competitive compensation package that is based on expertise. We also offer the following benefits:
- Healthcare, we care about you and your family: 100% Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Stock: Ownership in a fast-growing venture-backed company.
- Family Focus: Parental leave and flexibility for families.
- Time Off: Flexible vacation policy to encourage people to get out and see the world.
- Team Fun: Regularly scheduled events, annual retreats, and celebrations.
- Learning: Learning & Development Opportunities to grow your skills and career.
- Great team: Working with fun, hard-working, kind people committed to making a difference!
- Flexible culture: We are results-focused. We don’t work at the office every day.
At Phoenix Tailings, we have an open culture that values learning, and we are looking to grow the team with enthusiastic individuals who share our vision of sustainable mining. We offer an attractive compensation package with benefits including medical insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, and an unlimited vacation policy.
Phoenix Tailings, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and we value diversity at all levels. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), national origin, age, disability or genetic information, or any other applicable protected characteristics, and these characteristics will not be a factor for consideration of any work-related decisions (including but not limited to hiring, firing, compensation, and discipline).