Sr. Research Scientist - Aqueous Chemistry
Woburn, MA /
Phoenix Tailings – Research and Development /
About Phoenix Tailings
Each year the mining industry produces over 200 billion tons of tailings, a waste that comes from global mining operations. Phoenix Tailings is on a mission to eliminate this environmentally harmful waste from the environment while sustainably extracting valuable materials.
What started as an ambitious project to demonstrate the ability to clean up mine tailings, from the garage of our MIT graduates, Phoenix Tailings is now a fast-growing startup that is modernizing the mining industry with its sustainable extraction technology. Phoenix has demonstrated its technology to work at the lab scale and is heading into early pilot stages. We are eager and looking to accelerate this growth by bringing on talented and hard-working people with an ambition to change the world.
Learn more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJUqZr2wKX4
Why Phoenix Tailings
At Phoenix, we believe that nothing great is ever accomplished alone or without the passion of people who push and motivate one another. If you are someone who shares our relentless pursuit of a better future, passion for innovation, and are excited about working with some of the top innovators in the world, then this is the place for you.
Our Values: Ask us about them!
You are only crazy if you are wrong
It’s ok to be wrong
Lead with Compassion
What we do
At Phoenix, we build novel chemical processing techniques and technologies that are at the forefront of extracting critical materials that were previously trapped in tailings, solving the waste remediation process of the mining industry, and revolutionizing the mining industry with our zero waste mining solutions.
Who we are looking for:
Phoenix Tailings is looking for a Sr. Research Scientist, specifically focused on aqueous chemistry to join our team in Woburn. Reporting to the Chief Technology Officer, as a key member of our deep tech division, the Sr. Research Scientist will be responsible for developing new chemistries and innovations essential for us to achieve our vision of a Zero Waste World.
The Sr. Research Scientist will be a critical person, working closely with the CTO to solve the largest problems facing Phoenix Tailings on a daily basis.
Even though this role reports to the CTO, you will be a trusted resource for all members of the team.
What you will do:
- Design and develop novel chemistries and extractive metallurgical approaches in aqueous or solvent-based systems
- Design and perform experiments to evaluate feasibility and performance of new chemistries and separation technologies including but not limited to: leaching, solid-liquid separation, water treatment and reclamation, filtration, ion exchange resins, etc.
- Develop and implement chemical processes at the lab scale and support knowledge transfer to process engineers for system scale-up
- Develop and run thermodynamic and kinetic calculations and models
- Perform literature reviews and propose novel approaches to technical challenges
- Perform analytical testing and characterization of output materials
- Analyze experimental data and communicate results to the R&D team
- Perform techno-economic analysis to support new research approaches
- Prepare presentations and reports for both internal and external reporting (government grants and client feasibility studies)
- Find and participate in the evaluation of new technology, new products, new materials, and their impact on the business
- Performs duties in compliance with environmental, health and safety-related site rules, policies, or governmental regulations
What you have:
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, flexible start-up environment
- Demonstrated ability to develop innovative solutions to challenging open-ended technical problems and drive a project to completion
- Strong interpersonal, written communications, time management, and organizational skills
- Ability to analyze data, run statistical analysis, and present findings to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Enthusiasm to take ownership of some projects and be a team player on others
- Background in aqueous geochemistry, mineral processing, wastewater treatment, or related fields
- Experience developing ideas and reducing those ideas into practice
- Design of Experiment, statistical analysis, and model development skills desired
- 7+ years of hands-on experience with hydrometallurgy, aqueous geochemistry for wastewater treatment processes
- Ph.D. in Metallurgy, Materials Science and Engineering, physical chemistry, or related discipline
At Phoenix Tailings, we have an open culture that values learning, and we are looking to grow the team with enthusiastic individuals who share our vision of sustainable mining. We offer an attractive compensation package with benefits including medical insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, and an unlimited vacation policy. This is an opportunity to work in an innovative, exciting, and fast-paced environment focused on revolutionizing how the world’s primary resources are created.
Phoenix Tailings, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and we value diversity at all levels. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), national origin, age, disability or genetic information, or any other applicable protected characteristics, and these characteristics will not be a factor for consideration of any work-related decisions (including but not limited to hiring, firing, compensation, and discipline).