Principal Bioinformatics Scientist
San Diego, CA /
Drug Discovery /
Plexium is a pharmaceutical company focused on developing first-in-class protein degrader therapeutics that go beyond the limitations of bivalent degraders and cereblon molecular glues. Our novel integrated drug discovery platform consists of state-of-the-art medicinal chemistry and DNA-encoded library technologies, ultra-high throughput cell-based screening, deep biological understanding of protein degradation, and extensive proteomics and informatics capabilities. Our integrated platform allows us to discover and develop novel degraders of therapeutically validated proteins for cancer and other important disease areas.
Plexium has a positive, friendly, and collaborative work environment with a culture that values teamwork, initiative, ownership and thoughtful risk-taking in developing innovative solutions to challenging scientific problems. We are committed to fostering innovation at all levels, cross-functional team collaboration, and supporting the growth and development of our team members.
Plexium is seeking a bioinformatics scientist to join our multidisciplinary team developing novel targeted protein degrader therapeutics. The successful applicant will aid in developing pipelines, the QC of omics data set, supporting drug discovery, translational biology and biomarker projects through hypothesis driven data analysis, curation and analytical tool development. An individual with in-depth knowledge and expertise in bioinformatic analysis is essential. This position will collaborate, align and influence cross-functional teams to identify and mitigate key project questions.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Develop and apply computational and statistical pipeline/tools for analysis of large omics and high dimensional data from internally and publicly available, commercial, and real-world datasets to enable novel target identification, target assessment, drug combinations, and patient stratification
- Design and apply bioinformatics algorithms, unsupervised and supervised methods, univariate and multivariate regression analyses to enable the discovery and evaluation of preclinical predictive and prognostic biomarkers for oncology projects
- Develop computational methods for integrative analysis and visualization of large multi-omic datasets
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to analyze and interpret complex large datasets and efficiently communicate findings to non-computational scientists and senior leaders
Skills and Knowledge
- Ph.D. in a scientific field with ≥5 years bioinformatics experience in the pharmaceutical or biotech industries or academia
- Extensive expertise in analyzing, interpreting, and integrating large-scale genomics, transcriptomics, epigenetics, GWAS, and proteomics data sets
- Hands on experience in analyzing public omics data sets (e.g., TCGA, GTEx, CCLE, GEO, CPTAC, Uniprot, AlphaFold, String)
- Expertise in developing algorithms and applications for predictive modeling, pattern recognition, data mining and visualization of large scale multi-dimensional omics datasets
- Proficiency in R, Python, JAVA, or C programming languages. Experience with visualization tools such as Shiny, Spotfire, Cytoscape
- Strong statistical/biostatistical knowledge (e.g., distribution analysis, enrichment analysis, differential survival analysis, and significance testing)
- Machine learning knowledge is a plus
- A proactive and self-motivated individual with a strong work ethic and scientific rigor, ability to work in a dynamic environment and manage multiple objectives in parallel and adapt to changing priorities
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- A track record of peer-reviewed scientific publications in leading scientific journals and/or bioinformatics packages commercially or publicly available (e.g., Bioconductor, GitHub, websites)
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $170,000-$230,000 + target annual bonus + equity + health and well-being benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by a number of factors, including but not limited to the role, location, job-related skills, and relevant education, experience and training. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire base salaries for the position across all US locations and vary by the location of the position. Our Talent Acquisition Team can share more about our salary ranges and other benefits of working at Plexium, which are not included in the posted base salary range.
Notice to third party recruitment agencies: Plexium does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the absence of an executed recruitment services agreement, there will be no obligation to any referral compensation or recruiter fee.
In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate without an agreement Plexium shall explicitly reserve the right to pursue and hire those candidate(s) without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency. Any unsolicited resumes, including those submitted to hiring managers, shall be deemed the property of Plexium.