Head of In Vivo Pharmacology
San Diego, CA /
Drug Discovery /
Plexium is a pharmaceutical company focused on developing first-in-class protein degrader therapeutics that go beyond the limitations of bivalent degraders and cereblon molecular glues. Our novel integrated drug discovery platform consists of state-of-the-art medicinal chemistry and DNA-encoded library technologies, ultra-high throughput cell-based screening, deep biological understanding of protein degradation, and extensive proteomics and informatics capabilities. Our integrated platform allows us to discover and develop novel degraders of therapeutically validated proteins for cancer and other important disease areas.
Plexium has a positive, friendly, and collaborative work environment with a culture that values teamwork, initiative, ownership and thoughtful risk-taking in developing innovative solutions to challenging scientific problems. We are committed to fostering innovation at all levels, cross-functional team collaboration, and supporting the growth and development of our team members.
Plexium is seeking a highly motivated Head of In Vivo Pharmacology, to join our biology group. The successful candidate will have an in-depth understanding of in vivo techniques and a rigorous analytical approach to research with the goal of advancing lead compounds to clinical candidate therapies.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Provide technical/scientific in vivo pharmacology expertise for a variety of drug discovery programs (target ID/validation to IND enabling studies)
- Lead/mentor scientists who will be developing and executing in vivo strategies using a wide range of preclinical in vivo models (efficacy, PK/PD, screening toxicology) with a key focus on the development of cancer therapeutics
- Identify, select, develop, and execute in vivo experiments to enable target validation and pharmacology studies to support oncology drug development
- Plan, design, and coordinate internal studies and studies in partnership with external CRO and external partners
- Collaborate with program leaders to ensure in vivo functional support and timely progress of drug discovery programs, meeting industry standards
- Act as in vivo representative on project core teams and/or lead projects from early discovery to early development phases
- Present data to senior leadership, scientific collaborators and at relevant scientific conferences
Skills and Knowledge
- A degree in Biology or related field (M.S., Ph.D.) with 6+ years of in vivo pharmacology experience in either a biotech or pharmaceutical industry setting
- Expertise developing in vivo strategies and utilizing PK/PD/efficacy data to support drug discovery programs from inception through to IND
- Successful track record of leading in vivo research teams, directly managing and mentoring scientists in routine procedures such as tumor measurement, dosing, bleeding, tissue collections, inoculations, necropsies, data collection and record keeping
- Proficiency and hands-on experience in handling rodents and ability to prepare formulations, administer compounds via various routes (IV, PO, IP, SQ), tumor cell implantation, blood collection, and organ/tissue harvesting for analysis
- Expert level knowledge of subcutaneous and orthotopic xenografts, small animal surgery and new in vivo model development
- Strong attention to detail, time management, organizational and interpersonal skills
- Excellent presentation, verbal, and written communication skills
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $190,000-$240,000 + target annual bonus + equity + health and well-being benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by a number of factors, including but not limited to the role, location, job-related skills, and relevant education, experience and training. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire base salaries for the position across all US locations and vary by the location of the position. Our Talent Acquisition Team can share more about our salary ranges and other benefits of working at Plexium, which are not included in the posted base salary range.
Notice to third party recruitment agencies: Plexium does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the absence of an executed recruitment services agreement, there will be no obligation to any referral compensation or recruiter fee.
In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate without an agreement Plexium shall explicitly reserve the right to pursue and hire those candidate(s) without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency. Any unsolicited resumes, including those submitted to hiring managers, shall be deemed the property of Plexium.