Mechatronics and lab automation lead engineer
Fremont, CA /
About ProbiusDx Inc.:
We are Probius, an emerging venture-backed life science company developing next generation biochemical analysis solutions that combine quantum sensing and AI. Our technology yields a high-fidelity digital representation of the biochemistry of health for more detailed and predictive insights.
At Probius, we hire the most innovative talent to enable our partners and customers with solutions for their most challenging bioanalysis problems and we strive to extend the boundaries of what is possible. We foster the spirit of innovation by promoting responsible risk taking, open-mindedness, scientific excellence and integrity, open communication, and accountability as individuals and as a team. We are nimble, gritty, and unafraid to explore outside our comfort zone, and motivated to enable human wellness through deep technology and scientific discoveries, while maintaining a healthy work/life balance.
As Mechatronics and lab automation lead engineer, you will be front and center in defining and implementing the company’s commercial solutions towards fully automated bioanalytical workflows. This includes end to end process automation, high throughput workflows, liquid handling, user interface and user experience. Like all employees in the company, you will have a hands-on role with a high degree of autonomy, and this requires someone with a self-starter mindset. As the leader of our automation and mechatronics programs, you will be responsible for developing, validating, optimizing, and supporting complicated integrated systems and will collaborate directly with internal software, system integration and application teams, as well as product marketing leads and end-users.
- Design, build and test automated liquid handling protocols and robotics systems to enable state-of-the-art bioanalytical workflows for customer and internal testing solutions.
- Develop high throughput automation processes with concepts of turnaround time optimization, reproducibility, and human-robot interaction minimization
- Programming third party laboratory automation, creating interfaces between laboratory automation and LIMS, designing robust laboratory processes, and performing experiments and validations
- Evaluate customer workflow and determine customer configuration based on laboratory specific data/workflow, determine the optimal configurations, consult the customer on the best workflow suited to their needs, and drive towards a specific project scope to execute upon.
- Develop the company’s roadmap towards complete automation of disposable manufacturing to biological sample testing workflows, including cross-functional collaboration around systems and software integration, user experience and data management.
- Support production activities and offer insight into troubleshooting methodology and problem resolution with complex instrumentation, systems, or processes.
- Gather requirements, create specifications, and document development and validation appropriately.
- Maintain expertise on alternate methods, techniques and best practices used in the field and routinely benchmark process performance
Your expertise and qualifications:
- Minimum qualifications:
- 5+ years of hands-on experience in developing and qualifying laboratory or manufacturing processes relying on automation
- Demonstrated domain expertise in liquid handling, lab and/or manufacturing automation
- Experience in complex system integration, robotic arms, and automation scheduling software
- Software development experience in one or more languages (C#, Python, etc.)
- Ability to bridge knowledge gap across multiple disciplines (Mechanical, Electrical, Software, or Lab processes)
- Ability and desire to work in a team environment supporting both manufacturing operations and bioanalytical laboratories
- Strong organizational skills, as well as written and verbal communication skills with utmost attention to quality, detail and ability to record, track and document development projects.
- B.S and/or M.Eng in electrical, mechanical, biotechnology or related field, or equivalent industry experience.
- The following qualifications are considered a plus:
- Mechanical engineering design skills, including CAD and prototyping
- Experience working in a regulated laboratory environment, including design control, verification and validation studies and process development
- Experience in developing, troubleshooting, and optimizing liquid handling towards robust molecular biology analytical workflows
- Experience driving innovation in the junction between software, robotics, and biotechnologies.
- Experience with Atlassian productivity tools (Jira/Confluence) and LIMS platform integration
- Familiar with experimental and documentation overheads associated with serving applications in regulatory environments (cGxP, CLIA, CAP, ISO)
Working with us:
ProbiusDx is an equal opportunity employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive work force. Our company offers a competitive salary and benefits package, a professional work environment and opportunities for growth. Not only you will be joining a highly skilled and tight-knit team where every engineer, product manager and scientist make a significant impact on customer solutions, we also have a good work/life balance making our environment welcoming, fun, and adaptive.