CBO/Vice President of Business Development
San Jose, CA /
Leadership Team (C-level, Board members) /
The Vice President of Business Development will play a key role in developing and executing the company’s overall business strategy. This person will work closely with the CEO, leadership team, and Board of Directors to drive all business aspects of the company, including corporate and business development activities, strategic planning, commercial input into clinical development, and support investor relationships and fundraising. Importantly, this person will be responsible for defining and executing the right strategy for Rani’s business development activities while ensuring alignment with the company’s broader vision and ambition.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Work closely with the CEO and members of the leadership team and Board of Directors to define Rani’s corporate vision and strategy for long-range planning
- Build out a robust commercial and business development strategy for the company
- Identify and initiate business opportunities to maximize the value and potential of Rani’s oral delivery platform and pipeline
- Develop business cases for various partnering or growth opportunities, including deal-specific financial analysis (accounting for strategic, financial, legal and tax implications)
- Lead evaluation, structuring, negotiation and execution of significant company contracts, deals, and financings
- Design a roadmap of potential business opportunities, including internal and external development programs, and financing opportunities
- Develop a strong and effective partnership with R&D and clinical development teams to evaluate the potential of new therapies and integrate a commercial perspective early in the research and development process
- Cultivate and maintain meaningful relationships with partners and industry players to increase company’s visibility and facilitate business opportunities
- Represent Rani externally, including at partnering and industry conferences, and promote Rani’s business and technology
- Monitor competitive intelligence by keeping up to date on market trends, competitors, new markets and opportunities
- Entrepreneurial background and experience in biotech or pharma industry
- MBA, JD and/or advanced scientific degree preferred
- Significant experience (15+ years) as a business development professional, including structuring and negotiating M&A, licensing and collaboration transactions and managing deal processes
- Proven track record of effective outreach and successful transactions within the biotechnology/pharma/life sciences sector.
- Excellent written and interpersonal skills; ability to interface and communicate effectively with executive management and other functions within the organization
- Can translate broad corporate strategies into clear, specific objectives and plans, and successfully executes against corporate strategic imperatives
- Deep understanding of financial analysis and modeling
- Energetic self-starter with strong executive presence and the ability to work effectively in an entrepreneurial environment
- Strategic and analytical thinker capable of standing up and driving critical workstreams
- Ability to parallel process multiple projects and workstreams
- Strong team player capable of leading by influence with experience navigating & influencing stakeholders at all levels
- Ability to apply scientific and market knowledge to assess a product or technology's strategic fit, clinical viability, and commercial value
- Knowledge of biotech industry intricacies (e.g. development risk, portfolio prioritization, approach to valuing pipeline assets, importance of regulation and intellectual property)
- Actively networked and engaged in biopharma BD communities; effective at establishing relationship and initiating partnering discussions
- Experience at small and large biopharma companies preferred
Salary Range: $373,659 - $475,000
Rani Therapeutics LLC is an equal opportunity employer. This means that Rani Therapeutics LLC is dedicated to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, military status, sexual orientation, or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.
Our organization's commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is key to making us a better team - one that makes better decisions, drives innovation, and delivers better business results. At Rani Therapeutics, we're committed to a workplace culture where everyone feels comfortable to bring their authentic selves. We pledge to foster inclusion in our organization by promoting psychological safety, embracing differences, and being accountable for our actions. We strive to make Rani a place where each individual feels seen and empowered to reach their highest potential.
Any notes applied to candidates are subject to review for Equal Employment Opportunity hiring policies.