Head of Fleet
Ridwell is a service that inspires people to create a future without waste. Today, we make it easy to reuse and recycle more by identifying recyclable and reusable items that the city doesn't collect, picking them up from our customers' doorsteps, and matching them with local partners that can use them sustainably. Our future plans go much further and include making zero waste a reality for millions.
We are a social purpose corp, meaning sustainability is not just a company value - it's fundamental to the purpose and interests of our company. Our mission is to empower communities to waste less, and every success our product team celebrates means more waste saved from the landfill and more valuable donations in the hands of local non-profits.
We’re funded and growing quickly and can't wait to add to our team. We are a team invested in the personal growth of its employees and this is a unique opportunity to get in at the beginning and help build something special!
About the role
Ridwell makes it easy for our members to waste less by coordinating our team of drivers consistently and reliably to the door. We are looking for a professional with experience in last mile fleet operations to drive the strategy and execution of our on the road team as we expand across the country. This role will have a direct impact on reducing emissions, building a world class fleet and making the Ridwell mission possible.
The Head of Fleet will be responsible for planning and forecasting our fleet and driver needs, creating performance metrics and defining our routing and dispatching plans. As this person gets more familiar with our systems and processes, our tools will need to mature and become more automated and automatic, this role will be instrumental in defining those tools.
This position can be based in Seattle, Portland or Denver
- Our Member is our Hero. Our members are at the core of our company. Only by empowering them can we accomplish our vision.
- We Never Settle. We are relentlessly pursuing the exceptional and challenging the status quo–always making our service, experience, and company better.
- We Take Our Success Personally. We all have a stake in the success of Ridwell. You are empowered to make an impact.
- Purpose Drives Our Actions. Knowing why we are doing something enables us to focus on what is truly important.
- We Are Stronger Together. Every person is critical to our success. We need diverse perspectives to execute on creative solutions. By fostering collaboration and connection at every level, we can be phenomenal.
How to succeed in this role
- Effectively service our members throughout the country by ensuring our capacity and capabilities are in line with market demand and needs:
- Build and standardize processes to ensure every stop is completed daily with an ever-increasing bar of excellence.
- Coordinate with the General Manager and Logistics Leader in each market to provide a schedule for appropriate staffing of drivers, vehicles and contractors.
- Monitor and track effectiveness of fleet to drive our Perfect Pickup Rate.
- Partner with dispatch to ensure they are aware of any needed adjustments or potential limitations.
- Work with Product, Partnership and Experience teams on trials and single style pickups that may alter the normal flow.
- Create a repeatable and scalable fleet operation:
- Build and maintain a forecast of vehicle and drive capacities and resource needs.
- Create a schedule and planning doc for markets and central operations to ensure coverage and support for on the road teams.
- Partner with product and operations teams on making our routing and dispatching faster.
- Recommend system improvements and changes to our internal and external tools.
- Manage an efficient fleet focused on minimizing our vehicles environmental impact through smart scheduling, predictive analytics and market awareness:
- Manage the cost per stop in line with budget expectations on a market-by-market basis.
- Define expectations for stops-per-hour, stops-per-vehicle and other core KPI’s.
- Manage our Fleet Partners detail to ensure costs and invoices are effectively managed and accurate.
- Provide recommendations built on research and business knowledge regarding vehicle selection and tooling.
- Partner with General Managers in markets to ensure financial metrics for cost-per-stop are maintained and improved.
- Lead the discussion and prioritization of work to constantly improve our financial impact of teams on the road.
We're open to a variety of backgrounds and experiences, but here are the general skills and experience we’re looking for
- 5+ years of experience routing and dispatching fleets. Warehouse experience is a plus.
- Analytical and detail oriented, understanding that numbers and pre-work should guide a lot of the effort.
- Hands-on, scrappy, and proactive. Comfort with ambiguity, willing to take responsibility and ownership, and proven ability to take initiative and easily adapt in a fast-growing environment.
- Decision making mentality and sound business judgment through analytical thinking.
- Obsessed with the worldwide problem of waste and excited by the chance to play a critical role in eliminating it.
- Appreciation for the Ridwell brand and how partnerships and categories are such a key part of strengthening it.
- A deep understanding of fleet management and the realities of drivers, weather, vehicles and member needs.
- Strong communication skills, both to get things done collaboratively with internal partners, and to speak with external stakeholders.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field
- Fleet Management experience
- Background in Last Mile Delivery or Carshare service
Benefits at Ridwell
We are committed to creating a supportive environment for our employees. We offer the following:
Flexible vacation and sick leave policy
Comprehensive healthcare benefits including vision and dental
Paid parental leave
Individuals seeking employment at Ridwell are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation.
How we are protecting employees from COVID-19
At Ridwell, employee health and safety is our top priority. We have implemented processes and precautions to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in our facilities. For more information, please contact our HR department at HR@Ridwell.com.