Ridwell is a service that inspires people to create a future without waste. Today, we make it easy to reuse and recycle more by identifying recyclable and reusable items that the city doesn't collect, picking them up from our customers' doorsteps, and matching them with local partners that can use them sustainably. Our future plans go much further and include making zero waste a reality for millions.
We are a social purpose corp, meaning sustainability is not just a company value - it's fundamental to the purpose and interests of our company. Our mission is to empower communities to waste less, and every success our team celebrates means more waste saved from the landfill, less clutter in our customer’s homes, and more valuable donations in the hands of local non-profits.
We are quickly growing and can't wait to expand our engineering team. We offer a strong benefits package, a flexible work and vacation schedule, and a team invested in the personal growth of its employees. This is a unique opportunity to get in at the beginning and help build something special!
About the role
We're looking for an experienced technical leader with 5+ years experience in engineering management who can support and grow our rapidly expanding engineering team as we scale with the business. As an early engineering hire, you will have the opportunity to play a significant role in shaping our architecture and team culture as we grow. You should be willing to get your hands dirty (literally) and see what it means to run a recycling and reuse business, as much of what we do on the technology side involves deeply understanding our operations and how to scale it as we grow.
This is a remote full-time position with the opportunity to work from our downtown Seattle office if you live in the area. We give you flexibility to decide when, where, and how to get your work done. We do ask that you be available for team meetings which occur during the overlap of core business hours for Alaskan, Pacific, Mountain, Central, and Eastern time. You also need to be comfortable working digitally with teams around the country.
- Our Member is our Hero. Our members are at the core of our company. Only by empowering them can we accomplish our vision.
- We Never Settle. We are relentlessly pursuing the exceptional and challenging the status quo–always making our service, experience, and company better.
- We Take Our Success Personally. We all have a stake in the success of Ridwell. You are empowered to make an impact.
- Purpose Drives Our Actions. Knowing why we are doing something enables us to focus on what is truly important.
- We Are Stronger Together. Every person is critical to our success. We need diverse perspectives to execute on creative solutions. By fostering collaboration and connection at every level, we can be phenomenal. We all have a stake in the success of Ridwell. You are empowered to make an impact.
How to succeed in this role
- You care about our members. You continually work to improve the experience of our members, our drivers, and our internal admin team.
- You communicate effectively and clearly. You can explain technical concepts and limitations to team members and stakeholders succinctly and without getting frustrated. You excel in both synchronous and asynchronous forms of communication.
- Lack of definition doesn’t scare you. You work to understand a problem, how it contributes to our goals, and can clearly communicate your findings to team members.
- You are resourceful. You can debug and resolve any issue and be assigned any type of feature work, no matter how ill-defined, and drive to an appropriate resolution.
- You find balance between feature work and tech debt. You know when it’s necessary to go the extra mile with fully refactored code and an exhaustive test suite, and you know when it makes more sense to throw together a quick and dirty script that meets most of the business goals.
- You care about the “Why”. You are thoughtful about the future of our experience and keep our members’ goal to waste less as top priority. You tackle tasks with a purpose-driven approach.
- You are a leader. You provide mentorship to team members and lead recruiting and interviewing candidates. When you notice a problem, you don’t just call it out, you find a solution.
What you'll be doing
- Foster individual growth of engineers by working with them to grow as engineers and in their career goals.
- Partner closely with cross-functional team members (PM, UX, Marketing, Ops) to develop and maintain a well-defined roadmap, while balancing technological excellence.
- Build a culture of inclusion, transparency, continuous learning, growth, and sharing of technological insights.
- Inspire the team by contextualizing the work in the greater business picture.
- Share and solicit feedback early and often.
- Educate and advocate for engineering best practices within our technical ecosystem.
- Recruit, develop, and retain world-class engineers.
- Rolling up your sleeves and jumping in to assist with writing code/solving technical problems as needed.
- At least 5+ years of experience as an engineering manager, building and scaling tech teams in fast-paced environments.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field desired, but not required; experience as an Engineer may be accepted in lieu of a degree.
- Understands the domain of web application development;
- Proficiency in React.
- Proficiency in SQL.
- Experience building and maintaining REST or GraphQL APIs.
- Experience designing relational database schemas.
- Experience with cloud infrastructure, preferably AWS.
- Excellent active listening, written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience working in a remote environment preferred.
- Proven ability to learn from both successes and failures; can cite examples of each.
- Drive to not only help your team grow but grow as a colleague yourself.
- Node / Typescript / Apollo GraphQL / Postgres backend
- React / Next.js frontend
- AWS / Heroku / Docker
Benefits at Ridwell
We are committed to creating a supportive environment for our employees. We offer the following:
Flexible vacation and sick leave policy
Comprehensive healthcare benefits including vision and dental
Paid parental leave
Individuals seeking employment at Ridwell are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation.
How we are protecting employees from COVID-19
At Ridwell, employee health and safety is our top priority. We have implemented processes and precautions to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in our facilities. For more information, please contact our HR department at HR@Ridwell.com.