Senior PR Manager
Seattle, WA /
Ridwell is a service that inspires people to create a future without waste. Today, we make it easy to reuse and recycle more by identifying recyclable and reusable items that the city doesn't collect, picking them up from our customers' doorsteps, and matching them with local partners that can use them sustainably. Our future plans go much further and include making zero waste a reality for millions.
We are a social purpose corp, meaning sustainability is not just a company value - it's fundamental to the purpose and interests of our company. Our mission is to empower communities to waste less, and every success our product team celebrates means more waste saved from the landfill and more valuable donations in the hands of local non-profits.
We’re funded and growing quickly and can't wait to add to our team. We are a team invested in the personal growth of its employees and this is a unique opportunity to get in at the beginning and help build something special!
About the role
The purpose of this role is to help raise Ridwell’s profile through world-class PR efforts that achieve high-impact earned media placements.
As our first public relations hire, you will have the opportunity to partner directly with our Chief Marketing Officer to drive Ridwell’s public relations and communications strategy and tactics. You will be our in-house PR manager in a highly cross-functional role, contributing to our growth by generating earned media opportunities that appeal to our multiple, varied audiences, with a particular focus on our consumer audience. You should have a strong understanding of—and perspective about—communications, as well as a desire to use public relations strategically to attract and engage prospective and existing customers, partners, future employees, and industry stakeholders.
This is an experienced role requiring at least eight (8) years of public relations experience, preferably in a growth-oriented consumer company. We are looking for a rockstar contributor who will take ownership of public relations from day one yet remain flexible about our needs as we evolve.
This is a remote full-time position with the opportunity to work from our Seattle office if you live in the area. You also need to be comfortable working digitally with teams around the country.
This position has a salary range of $120,000 - $140,000/year. This range is a good-faith estimate for this position. The final salary offer will be determined after reviewing relevant factors, which include a candidate's qualifications and experience, where appropriate.
Compensation includes both salary and equity options. At this time, we can only hire US-based candidates.
- Our member is our hero. Our members are at the core of our company. Only by empowering them can we accomplish our vision.
- We Never Settle. We are relentlessly pursuing the exceptional and challenging the status quo–always making our service, experience, and company better.
- We Take Our Success Personally. We all have a stake in the success of Ridwell. You are empowered to make an impact.
- Purpose Drives Our Actions. Knowing why we are doing something enables us to focus on what is truly important.
- We Are Stronger Together. Every person is critical to our success. We need diverse perspectives to execute on creative solutions. By fostering collaboration and connection at every level, we can be phenomenal.
How to succeed in this role
- Understand Ridwell’s business goals and create an impactful PR plan that attracts and engages our various audiences.
- Possess outstanding listening, written, and verbal communication skills that convey accurate, nuanced information clearly and effectively. Excel in both synchronous and asynchronous forms of communication, and respect confidentiality.
- Be very comfortable prioritizing and owning projects from end-to-end with minimal input - or with significant direction - in an ambiguous, deadline-driven environment, as well as being accountable for outcomes.
- Exercise impeccable judgment in your recommendations and decisions about PR campaigns and activities.
- Collaborate effectively and generously across Ridwell and beyond, with strong diplomatic skills and an ability to successfully problem solve despite competing priorities and ideas.
- Have a mature grasp of how to act in varied workplace scenarios, demonstrating professionalism and finesse regardless of the situation.
- Possess curiosity and a learning mindset: learn from successes and failures, be open to feedback, and seek to improve yourself and our work.
- Demonstrate an ability to get up to speed fast, tackle challenges with urgency and enthusiasm, adapt to a changing environment, influence decision makers, overcome roadblocks and resource constraints, and prioritize high impact activities.
- Be aligned with Ridwell’s position as a mission-driven, growth-oriented, early-stage startup.
- Work with leadership to frame and tell the Ridwell story effectively to our multiple audiences in order to build and maintain a favorable public image for the company. Craft messaging and execute strategies that reach and influence our key audiences.
- Help create a world-class PR strategy and plan that raises our profile and helps drive growth of our consumer audience by generating impactful earned media opportunities.
- Own day-to-day execution of our public relations program, using traditional and innovative PR approaches that generate positive media coverage.
- Establish strong working relationships with local, national, and trade media. Research and develop comprehensive media lists and uncover relevant opportunities for story placement; pitch strong ideas via media outreach, respond to media inquiries, and monitor media placements.
- Create and oversee editorial, speaking/conference, and awards calendars, as well as processes that help us prioritize and execute a high volume of PR projects.
- Compose and disseminate press releases, briefing documents for media interviews, awards applications, talking points, media advisories, conference presentations, press kit materials, internal communications, and contributed articles, plus related social media content and blog posts.
- Serve as the primary point-person for PR agency relationships, providing ongoing direction on goals, target audiences, messaging, priorities, budget, approach, etc.
- Work closely with our Public Affairs team to coordinate coverage related to our industry, government relations, and public policy, leveraging a sensitive and nuanced understanding of industry-related perspectives and topics.
- Train executives and other employees on effective media presence and prepare spokespeople for media interactions. May act as a spokesperson occasionally.
- Collaborate with members of internal teams on highly cross-functional projects. Educate executives and employees on PR priorities and help them to integrate PR considerations into their work.
- Stay up-to-date on emerging PR trends and initiate tests strategically in areas that show potential for our business.
- Analyze and improve performance of earned media opportunities on an ongoing basis.
- Travel periodically to our current and future markets.
We're open to a variety of backgrounds and experiences, but here are the general skills and experience we’re looking for
- 8+ years of experience in public relations, with a strong preference for experience at a high-growth consumer company.
- Demonstrated leadership in PR and corporate communications, including ownership of PR strategy and planning, as well as people management.
- Proven ability to create and deliver a broad range of compelling messaging and PR-related materials that align with business priorities. Past experience with launch announcements and industry regulations strongly preferred.
- Subject matter expertise in PR and communications, with a desire to use PR efforts strategically to attract and engage prospective and existing customers, partners, future employees, and industry stakeholders.
- Extensive experience engaging with and developing relationships with members of the media, resulting in successful execution of proactive and reactive media strategies.
- Proven track record of securing impactful earned media placements including features, mentions, launch announcements, interviews, conference appearances, and awards.
- Experience vetting, hiring, and managing PR agencies and freelancers, as well as managing a PR budget.
- Deep understanding of media channels, needs, relationships, and overall landscape.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a highly cross-functional role, including counseling all levels of employees on communications strategy and PR-related topics.
- Experience working in Cision or other media outreach tools preferred.
- Experience measuring results of PR campaigns and optimizing efforts quickly.
- Experience working in a remote environment.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent military experience.
Benefits at Ridwell
We are committed to creating a supportive environment for our employees.
We offer the following:
Medical, Vision, and Dental plans available with $0 monthly premium costs, with buy-up options available
Voluntary Life and AD&D for self and spouse/domestic partner
Voluntary Short-Term and Long-Term Disability insurance
Flexible Paid Time Off
Sick leave in accordance to state requirements
Paid Holidays 7 paid days per year (verify)
Paid parental leave
Commuter Benefits for parking and/or transit
Employee Assistance Program (EAP) provides 4 counseling sessions per incident for common challenges such as relationship, family issues, stress, anxiety, and other life challenges
Employee Discount on Ridwell Membership
Individuals seeking employment at Ridwell are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation.
COVID-19 update for Ridwell employees
All Ridwell employees must be fully vaccinated except as necessary to accommodate disability or religious belief, candidates will be required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination (e.g., a copy of a vaccine card or other similar official document confirming vaccination status) prior to their first day of employment.
How we are protecting employees from COVID-19
At Ridwell, employee health and safety is our top priority. We have implemented processes and precautions to prevent the spread of COVID-19. For more information, please contact our HR department at HR@Ridwell.com.