Public Relations (Bay Area) (contract ~10 hours/month)
SF Bay Area, CA
Ridwell is a service that inspires people to create a future without waste. Today, we make it easy to reuse and recycle more by identifying recyclable and reusable items that the city doesn't collect, picking them up from our customers' doorsteps, and matching them with local partners that can use them sustainably. Our future plans go much further and include making zero waste a reality for millions.
We are a social purpose corp, meaning sustainability is not just a company value - it's fundamental to the purpose and interests of our company. Our mission is to empower communities to waste less, and every success our product team celebrates means more waste saved from the landfill and more valuable donations in the hands of local non-profits.
We’re funded and growing quickly and can't wait to add to our team. We are a team invested in the personal growth of its employees and this is a unique opportunity to get in at the beginning and help build something special!
About the role
This is a part-time, contract position that requires approximately 10 hours per month and pays between $100 and $125 per hour.
Ridwell’s Public Relations team is looking for a PR and media relations pro to help us spread the word in the San Francisco Bay Area and be an advocate for Ridwell in your community. This person will report to the Senior Public Relations Manager at Ridwell and work with the Bay Area market leader to provide unique insight into the local media landscape and identify PR opportunities.
- Our member is our hero. Our members are at the core of our company. Only by empowering them can we accomplish our vision.
- We Never Settle. We are relentlessly pursuing the exceptional and challenging the status quo–always making our service, experience, and company better.
- We Take Our Success Personally. We all have a stake in the success of Ridwell. You are empowered to make an impact.
- Purpose Drives Our Actions. Knowing why we are doing something enables us to focus on what is truly important.
- We Are Stronger Together. Every person is critical to our success. We need diverse perspectives to execute on creative solutions. By fostering collaboration and connection at every level, we can be phenomenal.
- Tell the Ridwell story effectively to our multiple audiences to build and maintain a favorable public image for the company.
- Craft messaging and execute strategies that reach and influence our key audiences and generate impactful earned media opportunities in your market.
- Establish strong relationships with local and hyperlocal media. Develop media lists and uncover relevant opportunities for story placement; pitch strong ideas via media outreach, respond to media inquiries, and monitor media placements.
- Make recommendations based on your POV on how Ridwell can show up in your market. Develop your PR strategy with Ridwell PR Manager, providing insight into market dynamics, trends, influencers, and potential partners.
- Coordinate briefings and prep materials with Ridwell spokesperson for interviews. Leverage corporate resources to ensure ongoing message alignment.
- Attend bi-weekly meetings with Ridwell PR/Market leads, and maintain regular communication with the team.
- Provide a timely summary of work and results along with detailed accounting of time and costs.
- Approximately 10 hours per month to dedicate to this role.
- Living in a San Francisco Bay Area Ridwell service area and being an active member is a plus!
- Subject matter expertise in PR and communications, with a desire to use PR efforts strategically to attract and engage prospective and existing customers, partners, and industry stakeholders.
- 8+ years of experience in public relations, with a strong preference for experience at a high-growth consumer company.
- Extensive experience engaging with and developing relationships with members of the local and hyper local media, resulting in the successful execution of proactive and reactive media strategies.
- Proven track record of securing impactful earned media placements including features, mentions, launch announcements, interviews.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
Individuals seeking employment at Ridwell are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation.
How we are protecting employees from COVID-19
At Ridwell, employee health and safety is our top priority. We have implemented processes and precautions to prevent the spread of COVID-19. For more information, please contact our HR department at HR@Ridwell.com.