Fleet Routing and Dispatch Lead
Operations Management /
Ridwell is a service that inspires people to create a future without waste. Today, we make it easy to reuse and recycle more by identifying recyclable and reusable items that the city doesn't collect, picking them up from our customers' doorsteps, and matching them with local partners that can use them sustainably. Our future plans go much further and include making zero waste a reality for millions.
We are a social purpose corp, meaning sustainability is not just a company value - it's fundamental to the purpose and interests of our company. Our mission is to empower communities to waste less, and every success our team celebrates means more waste saved from the landfill, less clutter in our customer’s homes, and more valuable donations in the hands of local non-profits.
We’re funded and growing quickly and can't wait to add to our team. We offer a strong benefits package, a flexible work and vacation schedule, and a team invested in the personal growth of its employees. This is a unique opportunity to get in at the beginning and help build something special!
About the role
As Fleet Routing and Dispatch Lead in a fast-paced, startup environment, you will be working with our operations team to ensure that routing and route optimization across all markets are executed on a daily basis. Each day will feature a variety of challenges around schedule changes, driver/vehicle bandwidth and weather considerations, so a high sense of urgency and flexibility is critical. Your key partners will be the market Operations Managers, General Managers, Driver Support and the broader Operations team.
This is a full-time, swing shift (3:00pm-11:30pm) position based in Seattle, WA. Due to business operations, you need to be comfortable working digitally with teams around the country.
- Our member is our hero. Our members are at the core of our company. Only by empowering them can we accomplish our vision.
- We Never Settle. We are relentlessly pursuing the exceptional and challenging the status quo–always making our service, experience, and company better.
- We Take Our Success Personally. We all have a stake in the success of Ridwell. You are empowered to make an impact.
- Purpose Drives Our Actions. Knowing why we are doing something enables us to focus on what is truly important.
- We Are Stronger Together. Every person is critical to our success. We need diverse perspectives to execute on creative solutions. By fostering collaboration and connection at every level, we can be phenomenal.
- Plan/assign all Ridwell market routes (currently Seattle, Bellingham, Portland and Denver) Sunday-Thursday based on driver schedule provided by Operations Managers. (*Every other Friday night will include one hour of routing).
- Optimize each route using both existing technology and manual processing.
- Identify, break down and investigate issues that occur on routes or due to elements of route planning to ensure they are resolved and do not occur again.
- Communicate gaps in scheduling and staffing to management and in-market leadership so these issues can be remedied early as possible.
- Partner with operations and tech teams to identify continuing issues and areas of improvement.
- Ensure nothing falls through the cracks; jump in and solve problems or call attention to the relevant teams so they can resolve issues.
How to succeed in this role
- Proven track record of taking ownership and driving results.
- Remain calm under pressure and flexible with frequently shifting priorities.
- Anticipate bottlenecks, make tradeoffs and balance the business needs v.s. technical constraints.
- Don’t hesitate to use data in difficult conversations.
- Develop and hone new processes and systems when/where needed, often requiring scrappy solutions to temporarily overcome technical limitations.
- Knowledge of routing software, Google Sheets, and Microsoft Excel, and use within a working environment to invent a solution/simplify a process.
- Identify and analyze data to isolate issues and test solutions.
We're open to a variety of backgrounds and experiences, but here are the general skills and experience we’re looking for
- 3+ years of work experience as a dispatcher or in logistics/transportation industry.
- Experience in last mile routing, scheduling and capacity planning.
- Highly detail-oriented and organized.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred; experience may be substituted in lieu of education.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, across multiple locations, effectively managing multiple projects simultaneously producing and communicating results.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be creative, resourceful and flexible in response to the environment of a rapidly growing organization.
- Willingness to work flexible hours as needed, including evenings and weekends.
- Motivation to always be learning and growing.
Benefits at Ridwell
We are committed to creating a supportive environment for our employees. We offer the following:
Flexible vacation and sick leave policy
Comprehensive healthcare benefits including vision and dental
Paid parental leave
Individuals seeking employment at Ridwell are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation.
How we are protecting employees from COVID-19
At Ridwell, employee health and safety is our top priority. We have implemented processes and precautions to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in our facilities. For more information, please contact our HR department at HR@Ridwell.com.