Controller - Accounting
Remote / Austin /
Are you passionate about fixing the music industry?
Only 12% of recorded music revenue goes to artists, and 0% goes to fans. The rest is taken by intermediaries like record labels, publishers, tech platforms and lawyers.
Royal is enabling artists to sell ownership in their music to fans instead of corporations, building a deeper connection and allowing fans to succeed alongside them. Fans earn a share of the royalties, which grow as the artist grows in popularity. And artists can offer owners special perks and access that become more treasured as they grow in popularity.
Finance is the strategic engine to ensure Royal balances aggressive investment with rigorous decision making as we pursue our mission.
As our first Controller, you will be critical in shaping and improving our daily settlement and overall accounting practices and team. You will audit our settlement process, review customer accounts and daily reconciliation of our crypto wallets, review all financial documents and procedures, reconcile statements and marketplace transactions and calculate tax payments and returns.
An ideal candidate will have experience bookkeeping, an understanding of how payments systems and cryptocurrency accounting works, and the drive to own this function end to end. Cryptocurrency accounting is a nascent field, so curiosity and creativity are key to success where best practice doesn't exist.
- Manage full-cycle bookkeeping including all aspects of Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, and Billing.
- Complete daily settlements with our active crypto wallets as well as payment platforms, such as Stripe.
- Reconcile monthly credit card statements, billings, cryptocurrency, and run monthly financials.
- Own all accounts payable transactions including bills, credit card charges and invoicing client bills with accuracy and proper classification.
- Maintain responsibility for the General Ledger
- Create timely and accurate monthly financial reports.
- Submit required filings.
- 5-7 years of accounting experience; 2+ years of experience in fintech, cryptocurrency experience strongly preferred
- CPA required, strong accounting experience preferred
- Experience with audits and financial forecasting
- Deep knowledge of bookkeeping software such as Netsuite and Xero
- Understanding of settlement processes and reporting in cryptocurrency, including but not limited to updated GAAP procedures for reporting of NFTs and cryptocurrency
- (preferred) Experience handling fiat payments for crypto assets
This is a full time position reporting to our head of Finance, and can be located in Austin or remote.
Royal has an office in Austin, TX and employees located throughout the United States. We value diversity on our team reflecting the diversity of music.
Royal is well capitalized from leading venture firms Founders Fund, Paradigm, Andreessen Horowitz (a16z), Atomic and a long list of top investors and artists. We're crypto natives who have built top consumer tech product, with leaders from Instagram, Youtube, Opendoor, Cooley, Andreessen Horowitz and other top technology and music companies. When we're not building we are musicians, producers, DJs and visual artists. Our co-founders:
- Justin Blau performs as 3LAU and has issued over $20 million in music NFTs
- JD Ross co-founded Opendoor (NASDAQ:$OPEN; $15B real estate tech startup) and was general partner at Atomic Ventures (co-founders of Hims & Hers + over a dozen startups)