Sr. Scientist, Reagent Development
San Diego, CA /
Product Development /
Scale Biosciences, Inc. (“ScaleBio”) is an early-stage life sciences technology and tools company developing advanced single-cell analysis solutions based upon the Company's patented split-pool barcoding and combinatorial indexing technology, to enable scalable, easy-to-adopt, extensible, cost-effective single-cell experiments so make single-cell sequencing across a broad range of systems, sample types and applications accessible to the larger research community.
Our founding team are the key inventors of split-pool barcoding and combinatorial indexing methods and share a common mission develop, democratize and make accessible this important technology for the broader research community to support broad range of applications including Epigenomics, Transcriptomics, Proteomics, and Multi-omics. We have a strong Board, Advisors, and Management Team with a collective proven track record in building successful life sciences tools companies and a growing passionate, multi-disciplinary, diverse team of scientists, engineers, bioinformaticians and software developers.
We have a shared mission, patented and demonstrated technology, long term investment commitments and R&D facilities in San Diego and Bay Area, CA. We are seeking people that have a passion for developing technologies and tools that benefit the broader researcher community in the discovery of human biology, have a strong interest in single-cell sequencing as a disruptive and enabling technology and see the potential for our patented split-pool barcoding and combinatorial indexing methods.
We are seeking passionate, driven scientific professionals to lead Reagent Development. In this role you will lead the development of predictive QC methodologies, dissect, and control sources of variance, and build overall reagent kit robustness for our single-cell assay products in support of multiple applications across multiple fields of study. You will have relevant experience in leading multi-disciplinary teams, defining product concepts and product development roadmaps, and validating products with collaborators and customers through early access programs.
What You'll Do:
- Work within a multi-disciplinary team from Advanced Research, Bioinformatics, and Product Development to develop a complete kit and reagent product.
- Identify key OEM reagent product suppliers, conduct evaluation of reagent products and select reagent products for inclusion in our planned kit products. Provide requirements to selected OEM supplier for selected products.
- Work collaboratively with team members to develop and qualify analytical and orthogonal methods for quantitative/qualitative assessment of reagent components, structures, and functions.
- Implement analytical methods to support cross-functional projects in new reagent introduction, process development and scale-up, incoming material and product quality control, and reagent formulation and stability studies.
- Lead technology transfer to internal and external manufacturing facilities, including training internal QC personnel for newly developed analytical test methods.
- Plan and execute experiments, in-depth analysis, reporting of these results through documentation, presentations.
- Provide technical support to troubleshoot failures or deviations in reagent QC testing.
- Author Standard Operating Procedures, Test Methods, Technical Reports, and other documents.
- Responsibility for planning, tracking, and driving timely execution of product development activities.
- Collaborate and deploy project management within cross-functional teams.
- Train and Mentor junior employees.
- Min 3+ years for PhD and 7+ years for MS degree with relevant experience from industry.
- Experience with technology transfer from R&D into manufacturing.
- Experience working with and characterizing reagents.
- Strong design transfer experience demonstrating delivery of robust reagent formulations and test methods.
- Experience with analytical method development is required.
- Experience with next generation sequencing, genomics and/or proteomics technologies.
- Relevant experience or knowledge of single-cell related methods, preferably using single-cell sequencing methods and technologies (e.g. SMART-seq, SPLiT-seq, sci-RNA-seq, scifi-RNA-seq etc).
- Project management capabilities to take a product through a lean product development process.
- Solid understanding of timelines and budgeting necessary for product development.
- Experience using statistical tools, such as JMP to analyze complex data sets, create DOE experiments, and data trending are a plus.
- Willing to travel up to 50% of the time, primarily between company sites in San Diego and Menlo Park.
Below is the salary range for this full time position. The actual base pay will depend on several factors unique to each candidate, including one’s skills, qualifications, and experience.
Base Salary Range - $100,000 - $137,500 USD
If you desire to be part of a diverse and multi-disciplinary team with a shared mission to develop great products for researchers we'd like to meet you. For more information about ScaleBio, please see our website, www.scale.bio. ScaleBio offers you a unique opportunity to play an important role in the development, democratization, and commercialization of our advanced single-cell analysis technology. ScaleBio is in its formative stages and desires to foster a great culture built upon shared core values. ScaleBio strives to provide competitive compensation, health and dental benefits, 401K retirement saving plan. ScaleBio is an equal opportunity employer and intends to develop a diverse and multi-disciplinary workplace.