Lead Embedded Systems Engineer
Seachange is a startup developing electric, hydrofoiling car ferries. Our mission is to change the way people travel - building a new kind of ferry that's 3x faster, carbon-free, and passengers will be excited to take.
We've attracted a world-class team to join our mission, and we'd love you to be a part of it. Our engineers have won America's Cups, built iconic global businesses, and won international sporting competitions. Our technology has been proven with a series of scale prototypes, and now we're working on building a full-scale ferry.
We're looking for a Lead Embedded Systems Engineer to architect and build the onboard control and telemetry systems. This role has a really broad mandate - from working with controls & simulation engineers, to helping with sensor and onboard hardware selection, writing onboard software, participating in the regulatory approval process, building shore-side tools to make telemetry useful to the design team, and supporting the build team install the system.
On our small team, you'll get exposure to everything that goes into building a cutting-edge boat. We're looking for someone willing to roll up their sleeve and work with software, mechanical, structural, electrical, controls engineers as well as boatbuilders, vendors, surveyors, and technicians as we move the boat through design, build, and validation.
Car ferries and fast ferries emit 35 million tonnes of CO2 per year (about 0.1% of global emissions). We won't solve climate change on our own - but a few hundred crazy, passionate companies like ours will collectively move the needle on humanity's future. This mission isn't possible without amazing engineers. If you want to use your talents to build cool stuff and make the world better - Seachange is for you.
What You'll Bring
- Solid software engineering skills - you crank out clean, testable, performant code.
- A deep-seated desire to automate all the things, and a keen eye for what makes a great tool
- Experience building real-time, safety critical embedded systems - salt water destroys everything, and our system needs to be robust
- Experience crossing the hardware/software divide - the job is 80% software, but you need a solid grasp on the hardware it'll run on
- A strong sense that instrumentation and telemetry are key for any complex system - and a vision for the tooling needed to turn all that data into actionable design decisions
- Fluency in C/C++ and Python
- A love of the water, and a desire to use your skills to build a better world
Seachange is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity and is determined to ensure that no applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of gender, age, disability, religion, belief, sexual orientation, marital status, or race.