Associate Scientist, Protein Science (Protein Biochemistry)
South San Francisco, CA /
Septerna is a biotechnology company with a vision to become the industry-leading G protein-coupled receptor (GPCR)-focused R&D company with a portfolio of life-changing medicines. The company’s Native Complex™ Platform recapitulates GPCRs with their native structure, function, and dynamics outside of the cellular environment to enable new technologies for industrial-scale drug discovery for the entire GPCR target class for the first time. Septerna has an emerging pipeline of GPCR-targeted small molecule drug discovery programs, along with growth potential to reach many GPCRs that have been undruggable and unexploited to date. Septerna was launched by scientific founders who have made groundbreaking GPCR discoveries and by founding investor Third Rock Ventures. For more information see: www.septerna.com.
Join a multidisciplinary team of colleagues focused on creating revolutionary medicines to address significant needs of patients. Bring your real self to work every day; grow and learn from a talented team of drug hunters, scientists, and business professionals; and contribute your passion, creativity, and energy to our mission. At Septerna we embrace diversity of thought, expertise, and background; we share a fearless pursuit of ground-breaking innovations; and our employees learn from each other and succeed as a team.
We are seeking passionate and creative individuals who want to contribute to Septerna’s mission to utilize innovative drug discovery technologies for GPCR targets. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in protein biochemistry, protein expression, purification, and characterization, along with experience in mammalian and bacterial cell culture.
The chosen candidate will be working in a collaborative team contributing to workflows for the production and characterization of proteins, structural biology, and the development, validation and implementation of biochemical assays. This position offers the unique opportunity to join an innovative well-funded startup and to contribute to its long-term success.
• Independently plan, design, execute, evaluate, and deliver workflows for protein expression, protein purification, and protein characterization from mammalian, bacterial, and insect cells
• Develop and optimize protein expression and protein purification protocols for recombinant proteins using various analytical and biochemical tools, including cell culture, generation and validation of baculovirus, chromatographic FPLC platforms (AKTA), etc.
• Develop and perform cell-based and biochemical assays using a variety of quantitative protein characterization methods (e.g., fluorescence, luminescence, TR-FRET, AlphaLISA, ELISA, radioligand binding, etc.)
• Keep up-to-date with and play an active role in implementing advancements in protein expression and protein purification technologies, with a primary focus on GPCRs
• Work in a collaborative environment to support discovery and structural biology efforts for internal drug discovery programs
• Effectively analyze and interpret data, as well as communicate updates to management and cross-functional teams
• Maintain accurate laboratory documentation, reports, and protocols, and present scientific data to colleagues in group and project team meetings
• B.S. or M.S. in Biochemistry, Structural Biology, Bioengineering or other related disciplines is required, with work experience in optimizing protein purification protocols, scale up, and protein characterization methods
• Strong core competency in protein biochemistry, protein purification, and protein characterization are essential, with demonstrated success in developing and optimizing protein purification protocols
• Minimum of 6+ years experience in a biotechnology or pharmaceutical setting
• Proven expertise in protein purification techniques, with extensive working knowledge of FPLC platforms (AKTA, Bio-Rad) and associated software.
• Proficiency in aseptic cell culture techniques and recombinant protein expression in bacterial, insect, and mammalian systems is required.
• Proficient in analyzing protein structures to optimize expression construct design.
• Familiar with biochemical and biophysical techniques used for protein characterization, such as luminescence, fluorescence, and FRET-based methods.
• Experience with prokaryotic and eukaryotic expression vectors.
• Proficient at sustained communication with superiors and working in a highly collaborative, cross-functional team environment
• Strong work ethic with an ability to multi-task and independently plan experiments, analyze and interpret data, troubleshoot challenges and come up with solutions.
• Attention to detail, accurate record keeping, and strong oral and written communication skills
• Prior experience with protein purification and protein characterization of membrane-spanning or membrane-associated proteins, such as GPCRs, is a bonus.
• Experience with automation and data analysis/reporting software is highly desired.
• Willingness to work outside of their discipline to accomplish project goals.
• Proven experience with protein purification, stabilization, and characterization of difficult protein targets.
The anticipated salary range for candidates who will work in South San Francisco, CA is $94,000 - $106,000. Individual pay may vary based on additional factors, including, and without limitation, job-related skills, experience, work location and relevant education or training. Septerna's compensation package also includes benefits, stock options, and annual target bonus for full-time positions.
We are an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Note to Employment Agencies: Please do not forward any agency resumes. The company will not be responsible for any fees related to resumes that are unsolicited.