Summer Research Intern - Machine Learning Chemistry
South San Francisco, CA
Septerna is a biotechnology company with a vision to become the industry-leading G protein-coupled receptor (GPCR)-focused R&D company with a portfolio of life-changing medicines. The company’s Native Complex™ Platform recapitulates GPCRs with their native structure, function, and dynamics outside of the cellular environment to enable new technologies for industrial-scale drug discovery for the entire GPCR target class for the first time. Septerna has an emerging pipeline of GPCR-targeted small molecule drug discovery programs, along with growth potential to reach many GPCRs that have been undruggable and unexploited to date. Septerna was launched by scientific founders who have made groundbreaking GPCR discoveries and by founding investor Third Rock Ventures. For more information see: www.septerna.com.
Join a multidisciplinary team of colleagues focused on creating revolutionary medicines to address significant needs of patients. Bring your real self to work every day; grow and learn from a talented team of drug hunters, scientists, and business professionals; and contribute your passion, creativity, and energy to our mission. At Septerna we embrace diversity of thought, expertise, and background; we share a fearless pursuit of ground-breaking innovations; and our employees learn from each other and succeed as a team.
Life As A Research Intern
The Research Intern program provides each student with real-life hands-on experience, coaching and mentoring, networking opportunities, as well as the opportunity to meet people from various schools throughout the country. As a data science intern, you will get access to real drug discovery datasets and your work will have real impact as it contributes to Septerna’s code base and discovery program.
· Program start dates are in May or June 2024.
· The internship is to take place in person at our South San Francisco office.
· Ownership of challenging and impactful projects.
· Work alongside exceptional scientists in the field of GPCR drug discovery.
· Participate in weekly project team meetings.
· Build a network of drug hunters.
· Provide a final presentation of project work to senior leaders.
· Authorized to work in the U.S. i.e. (applicants who require employer sponsored visas now or in the future are not eligible to apply)
· Must be at least 18 years old
· Ability to complete 10-12 consecutive weeks between May and September
· Enrolled currently in an undergraduate or graduate degree at an accredited college/university
· returning to the University/and or College following the internship
· Strict adherence to lab safety rules and regulations
· Major in a degree in the biomedical/life science area or computer science, having completed at least 6 semesters.
· Basic understanding of scientific data, especially chemistry and biology, and ability to learn from scientific literature.
· At least 1 year of hands-on ML experience, preferably with deep learning models
· Be able to independently preprocess real world data sets, build and evaluate machine learning models.
· Proficient with Python-based machine learning tools (e.g. sklearn, Tensorflow/Pytorch or similar)
· Comfortable with setting up computational environments with pip, conda and/or Docker
· Adhere to basic good coding practices (e.g. documenting and organizing code)
· Excellent communication, collaboration, and interpersonal skills
· Strong organizational, project management, problem solving, analytical and quantitative skills
· Experience with machine learning for chemistry (e.g. knowledge of chemical representations such as fingerprints, graphs and RDKit, and architectures for machine learning such as graph convolutions or transformer-based models)
· Experience with AWS and hosted notebooks or similar infrastructure for machine learning research
Application deadline: March 10th
If selected, the intern is expected to provide evidence of COVID vaccinations (initial series + booster) or ensure full vaccination status is achieved by the start date. The intern will be mandated to adhere to Septerna COVID policies, which may be subject to change in response to changing infection rates/emerging variants.
$20 - $25 an hour
We are an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Note to Employment Agencies: Please do not forward any agency resumes. The company will not be responsible for any fees related to resumes that are unsolicited.