Summer Research Intern - Biochemistry/Chemical Biology/Biological Sciences
South San Francisco, CA
Septerna is a biotechnology company with a vision to become the industry-leading G protein-coupled receptor (GPCR)-focused R&D company with a portfolio of life-changing medicines. The company’s Native Complex™ Platform recapitulates GPCRs with their native structure, function, and dynamics outside of the cellular environment to enable new technologies for industrial-scale drug discovery for the entire GPCR target class for the first time. Septerna has an emerging pipeline of GPCR-targeted small molecule drug discovery programs, along with growth potential to reach many GPCRs that have been undruggable and unexploited to date. Septerna was launched by scientific founders who have made groundbreaking GPCR discoveries and by founding investor Third Rock Ventures. For more information see: www.septerna.com.
Join a multidisciplinary team of colleagues focused on creating revolutionary medicines to address significant needs of patients. Bring your real self to work every day; grow and learn from a talented team of drug hunters, scientists, and business professionals; and contribute your passion, creativity, and energy to our mission. At Septerna we embrace diversity of thought, expertise, and background; we share a fearless pursuit of ground-breaking innovations; and our employees learn from each other and succeed as a team.
Life As A Research Intern
The Research Intern program provides each student with real-life hands-on experience, coaching and mentoring, networking opportunities, as well as the opportunity to meet people from various schools throughout the country. We plan on hiring maximally 2 Intern Students within Protein Science/Structural Biology. Each Intern will be assigned to a single function with a specific project for the 3-month Internship term.
· Program start dates are in May or June 2024.
· The internship is to take place in person at our South San Francisco office.
· Ownership of challenging and impactful projects.
· Work alongside exceptional scientists in the field of GPCR drug discovery.
· Participate in weekly project team meetings.
· Build a network of drug hunters.
· Provide a final presentation of project work to senior leaders.
· Authorized to work in the U.S. i.e. (applicants who require employer sponsored visas now or in the future are not eligible to apply)
· Must be at least 18 years old
· Ability to complete 10-12 consecutive weeks between May and September
· Enrolled currently in an undergraduate or graduate degree at an accredited college/university
· Returning to the University/and or College following the internship
· Strict adherence to lab safety rules and regulations
· Major in a degree in the biomedical/life science area, having completed at least 4 semesters.
· Excellent communication, collaboration, and interpersonal skills.
· Ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
· Ability to read and digest scientific literature.
· Strong organizational, project management, problem solving, analytical and quantitative skills.
· Ability to efficiently manage short timelines
· Ability to keep and maintain records and experiments within an electronic lab notebook
Prior lab experience is highly desired, and could include, but is not limited to the following:
· Protein purification (especially of membrane proteins)
· Recombinant protein expression and cell culture
· Biochemical assays, liquid handling (pipetting), and plate readers
· Molecular biology techniques such as PCR, cloning, DNA and RNA extraction, gel electrophoresis, DNA sequencing
· Experience with scientific software such as Prism, ImageJ, PyMol, Chimera, Molecular Operating (MOE), Python, R
· Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Powerpoint)
Application deadline: March 16th
If selected, the intern is expected to provide evidence of COVID vaccinations (initial series + booster) or ensure full vaccination status is achieved by the start date. The intern will be mandated to adhere to Septerna COVID policies, which may be subject to change in response to changing infection rates/emerging variants.
$20 - $25 an hour
We are an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Note to Employment Agencies: Please do not forward any agency resumes. The company will not be responsible for any fees related to resumes that are unsolicited.