Senior DevOps Engineer
South San Francisco
Product Development – Infrastructure Team /
In this role as a Senior DevOps engineer, you will be working with our software engineering group to help our developers build, test, release, and deploy Simbe's various software stacks and manage the infrastructure it sits upon. This role provides exciting and unique challenges not found in a conventional DevOps role as it involves not only managing our cloud-based platform but also our global fleet of autonomous robots! Your primary objective will be to help our developers focus on building solutions for our customers rather than being distracted by the infrastructure that holds it up.
- Take over DevOps responsibilities that currently are handled by our software developers including continuous integration + deployment, host configuration management, software packaging + hosting, server administration, third-party SaaS service administration, dealing with changes to upstream packages, authentication key management, and host network configuration.
- Own Linux system administration and configuration management across all our cloud VMs and physical robot fleet.
- Tighten security of our cloud and robots hosts by managing access controls via IAM and ACL policies, configuring network firewalls, management + rotation of authentication keys, deploying intrusion detection systems, and patching hosts.
- Help monitor, optimize, and reduce cloud computing costs as we continue to scale exponentially.
- BS in Computer Science or related field recommended but not required
- Deep understanding of the software development cycle and agile software methodologies expected
- Experienced in Linux administrator across a significant number of hosts (physical and/or cloud VMs) ideally with Ubuntu.
- Experience packaging and deploying software written in C++ and Python to Linux clients
- Extensive experience with cloud computing platforms (ideally GCP but AWS, Azure, and other cloud platform experience is acceptable)
- Experience managing large numbers of connected IoT devices (e.g. robots, wearables, phones, home automation) is a huge bonus but not required.
- Familiar with continuous integration + deployment (CI/CD) systems (e.g. Jenkins, Github Actions, TravisCI)
- Adept with configuration management automation tools (e.g. Ansible, Puppet, Salt, Chef, etc)
- Well-versed in source control systems, particularly Git
- Proficient in shell scripting with Bash and/or Python
- Experience configuring and administering SQL and NoSQL databases, particularly PostgresSQL and Redis
- Experience configuring and administering web servers (e.g. Apache/Tomcat, nginix)
- Experience with configuring, managing, maintaining, securing, and hardening IP networks.
- Familiarity with VPN servers, network firewalls, and wifi network management recommended
- Experience building and running Docker containers recommended