Washington, DC /
About Subject Matter
Subject Matter is a multifaceted agency comprised of advertising and design experts, experienced journalists, media relations pros, digital specialists, strategists, technologists, filmmakers and lobbyists. We help our clients shape the message environment, move public opinion and enhance and defend their reputation. By unifying strategic communications, creative content production and government relations, we spur action—in Washington, on Main Street and everywhere in between. We call what we do Creative Advocacy.
We are seeking a top-notch Staff Accountant who can bring strong organizational and to support various accounting functions. You will primarily support the Controller with analyzing financial data, accounts payable and receivables.
This position reports to the Controller and is part of a four-member Finance team.
- Reconcile various general ledger accounts, prepare and post journal entries, record appropriate monthly accruals, reconcile inter-company accounts, and perform analysis and provide reasoning for variances.
- Ensure accurate and timely completion of all monthly, quarterly, and year-end close activities.
- Update month-end supporting schedules like prepaids, deferred revenue, fixed assets.
- Respond to client, vendor, client management team, and management inquiries on a timely basis.
- Assist in special projects, filing government and compliance requirements, and year-end audit schedule preparation.
- Ensure compliance with company policies, best practices, and GAAP.
- Responsible for assisting management with creation and application of accounting policies and procedures, maintenance of general ledger within Oracle NetSuite, monitoring receivable aging reports and collect outstanding receivables, creating supporting schedules for financial activities, providing suggestions to management and supervisor on ways to implement efficiencies with daily processing and reporting activities.
- Interact with company employees to resolve accounting inquiries and issues.
- Other duties maybe assigned by the Controller, Human Resource manager and/or Chief Financial Officer.
- Being a member of a dynamic accounting team with a high standard of professional excellence, trust, and productivity.
- Assist in implementing industry standard best practices across new and existing workflows with a focus on optimization and the reduction of manual processes.
- Provide support in developing internal company policies and conducting regular audits to identify potential weaknesses in need of improvement.
- Supporting the controller through annual audit process.
- Minimum of two to three years of accounting experience
- Demonstrated proficient understanding of GAAP and financial principles
- QuickBooks Online experience (preferred)
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite of products
- An independent, critical thinker
- Exceptional communication skills (both oral and written)
- Ability to thrive in a matrixed, fast-paced environment
- Strong attention to detail with exceptional prioritization skills to manage multiple projects and deliverables simultaneously
- Enthusiastic about designing and implementing systems that improve processes
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting (preferred)
Subject Matter is an equal opportunity employer that encourages people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply. We are committed to being an inclusive place to work, while maintaining a workforce that represents the communities we serve.
Subject Matter will require all new employees working from our physical office to provide proof of vaccination. Exemptions will be made for medical and/or religious reasons only, following an interactive process and determination of an essential accommodation.