Accounting & Compliance Associate (Mid-Level)
Washington, DC /
About Subject Matter
Subject Matter is a multifaceted agency comprised of advertising and design experts, experienced journalists, media relations pros, digital specialists, strategists, technologists, filmmakers and lobbyists. We help our clients shape the message environment, move public opinion and enhance and defend their reputation. By unifying strategic communications, creative content production and government relations, we spur action—in Washington, on Main Street and everywhere in between. We call what we do Creative Advocacy.
We are seeking a top-notch, highly professional Mid-Level Accounting & Compliance Associate who can bring strong organizational and leadership skills to our company.
You'll work closely with all parts of our organization to ensure smooth internal operations and exceptional client service. You will be responsible for the financial close and reporting process, payroll accounting and compliance, and the management of various accounting functions. You will develop best practices in terms of processes and procedures as well as in driving efficiencies. You will also help in building a finance function to support the growth of the Company.
This position reports to the Controller and is part of a 5-member Finance team.
Compliance & Payroll Responsibilities:
· General administrative management of and timely responses to compliance notices received from government agencies.
· Collaborating with our internal HR team to manage the accounting documentation of all payroll, payroll tax, and benefits deductions.
· Overseeing payroll tax compliance to ensure the accurate and timely completion of all government reporting, business licenses and registrations, and tax filings across all state and local municipalities in which the company operates.
· Communicating with employees to ensure awareness and compliance with internal and external laws and regulations.
Financial Accounting and Reporting:
· Supporting the period-end financial close process (fiscal month, quarter, and year-end) including preparation of journal entries, account reconciliations, maintaining GL structure, and related tasks.
· Managing monthly financial statement preparation and reporting process inclusive of establishing and maintaining effective controls over the accounting, close and reporting processes; providing quality control over financial transactions to ensure compliance with GAAP; ensuring adequate system of accounting record keeping.
· Partnering with the Controller, CFO, and other business leaders to ensure predictable and accurate financial reporting and cash flow management inclusive of maintaining daily cash flow reporting worksheets.
· Collaborating with our staff accountants to manage various accounting functions inclusive of monitoring and controlling company credit card transactions via Concur, monitoring the timely repayment of all short-term and long-term debt facilities, and performing weekly bank account reconciliations.
· Collaborating with our Staff Accountants to manage all accounts payable functions including vendor invoice processing, vendor relations, and check preparation.
· Collaborating with our Staff Accountants to manage all accounts receivable functions including accurate client invoice preparation, timely collections, and deposits.
· Being a member of a dynamic accounting team with a high standard of professional excellence, trust, and productivity.
· Implementing industry standard best practices across new and existing workflows with a focus on optimization and the reduction of manual processes.
· Developing internal company policies and conducting regular audits to identify potential weakness and noncompliance circumstances in need of improvement
· Supporting the controller through annual audit process
· Assisting the controller in the company’s property/casualty insurance policy renewals
- Bachelor’s degree in business, accounting, HR, or related field.
- Certified Public Accountant (Preferred) or demonstrated proficient understanding of GAAP
- 3+ years related experience, expert level accounting and compliance skills.
- High level of capability with Excel and automated accounting tools.
- QuickBooks Online experience (Preferred)
- Previous accounting/compliance experience in the professional services industry (Preferred).
- An independent, critical thinker.
- Strong attention to detail and exceptionally organized.
- Enthusiastic about designing and implementing systems and policies.
- Self-starter with exceptional prioritization skills.
- Exceptional communication skills (both oral and written).
Subject Matter is an equal opportunity employer that encourages people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply. We are committed to being an inclusive place to work, while maintaining a workforce that represents the communities we serve.
Subject Matter will require all new employees working from our physical office to provide proof of vaccination. Exemptions will be made for medical and/or religious reasons only, following an interactive process and determination of an essential accommodation.