Director, Strategic Growth and Marketing
Washington, DC /
Business Development /
About Subject Matter
Subject Matter is a multifaceted agency comprised of advertising and design experts, experienced journalists, media relations pros, digital specialists, strategists, technologists, filmmakers and lobbyists. We help our clients shape the message environment, move public opinion and enhance and defend their reputation. By unifying strategic communications, creative content production and government relations, we spur action—in Washington, on Main Street and everywhere in between. We call what we do Creative Advocacy.
We are seeking an experienced marketing and communication strategist with strong writing credentials to join the Subject Matter team! This position will join a marketing team and lead the preparation and delivery of proposal memos and decks in support of new business initiatives. The role involves collaborating with firm leadership, turning strategic ideas into actionable, precise, and polished marketing content. The ideal candidate will have agency experience and an understanding of brand marketing and communications strategy, along with superior writing skills. This person should be able to lead and act on group brainstorms, including distilling information into strategic outlines, memos and decks, and have the ability to craft a winning RFP response.
- Conceptualize, write and edit original content and strategy documents to support new business efforts, including strategy memos, pitch proposals, presentation content and blog posts.
- Collaborate closely with executive leadership and division leaders regularly on all business development projects.
- Provide research and landscape analysis support for a range of business development initiatives.
Promote Subject Matter Brand
- Understand the centralized strategy of the company and translate the mission and approach into thought leadership content for the firm.
- Provide editorial and strategic direction on business development and marketing materials in support of all Subject Matter divisions and teams.
- Experience in Marketing, Advertising, Strategic Communications or other related fields.
- Superior writing and editing skills.
- Excellent writing and communications skills
- Experience in issue-based content creation and communications strategy.
- Knowledge of digital media and targeted digital communication.
- Ability to manage multiple projects with competing deadlines with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated experiencing in managing working relationships diplomatically and collaboratively.
- An understanding of the strategic communications and the Washington policy landscape.
Subject Matter is an equal opportunity employer that encourages people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply. We are committed to being an inclusive place to work, while maintaining a workforce that represents the communities we serve.
Subject Matter will require all new employees working from our physical office to provide proof of vaccination. Exemptions will be made for medical and/or religious reasons only, following an interactive process and determination of an essential accommodation.