R&D Technician – Chemical Process Development
Somerville, MA /
R&D – Chemical Process Development /
Background & Overview
Sublime Systems’ mission is to have a swift and massive impact on reducing global CO2 emissions by decarbonizing cement, the key ingredient in concrete. Founded in 2020, Sublime Systems has taken on the challenge of transforming the cement production process. Leading investors including The Engine, Prime Impact Fund, Energy Impact Partners, and Lowercarbon Capital have funded Sublime’s technology, recognizing that this paradigm shift in production has set us on the path to deliver high performance, net-zero solutions to concrete producers, thereby driving gigaton-scale reductions in CO2 emissions.
If you are galvanized by seeking solutions to hard problems, inspired to combat climate change, and have a “hard hat” in your DNA, contact us today to learn more about Sublime Systems. We are seeking extraordinary scientists, engineers, market and business development strategists, and operations experts to propel innovation and market transformation.
Sublime Systems seeks an R&D Technician to contribute to the development of our technology. The technician will be responsible for conducting laboratory testing on Sublime Systems’ cement manufacturing process to contribute to process improvement and scale up. This is an exciting opportunity to combat global climate change by transforming how the world makes cement. This is a full time (40 hr/week) position located in Somerville, MA. Overtime and/or weekend work shifts may be available.
● Carrying out hands-on testing of Sublime’s cement manufacturing process in our chemistry laboratory following guidance from Sublime Systems’ research scientists.
● Carefully following established procedures to test manufacturing process steps.
● Performing analytical measurements to characterize the physical and chemical properties of solids and aqueous solutions.
● Building, operating, and maintaining laboratory equipment.
● Ordering supplies, tools, and materials.
● Diligently documenting and compiling measurement results.
● Championing safety in all of Sublime’s work.
● Helping to develop a supportive, innovative, and dynamic company culture.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
The role will focus on hands-on chemistry, chemical engineering, and/or materials science laboratory testing. The technician’s time will be spent running test reactions, preparing test samples, and performing measurements in the laboratory. The ideal candidate will be results-driven, detail-oriented, organized, and able to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
● High school diploma required. Associate degree or higher in chemistry, engineering, materials science, or a related field is a plus.
● Able to perform lab work including setting up and operating testing equipment, running test reactions, characterizing materials, and recording results.
● Mechanically inclined and comfortable assembling and operating laboratory equipment.
● Previous experience working in a chemistry, chemical engineering, or materials science laboratory.
● Able to lift objects up to 50 lbs.
● Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to listen, distill information, consult, and suggest new approaches.
● Strong communication skills, good judgement, and self-direction.
● Ability to pay close attention to detail, focusing on accuracy and quality, without losing sight of the bigger picture.
● Balance, perspective, and a good sense of humor.
Sublime Systems is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Your Right to Work
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.