Research Scientist or Engineer: Chemical Process Development
Somerville, MA /
R&D – Chemical Process Development /
Background & Overview
Sublime Systems’ mission is to have a swift and massive impact on reducing global CO2 emissions by decarbonizing cement, the key ingredient in concrete. Founded in 2020, Sublime Systems has taken on the challenge of transforming the cement production process. Leading investors including The Engine, Prime Impact Fund, Energy Impact Partners, and Lowercarbon Capital have funded Sublime’s technology, recognizing that this paradigm shift in production has set us on the path to deliver high performance, net-zero solutions to concrete producers, thereby driving gigaton-scale reductions in CO2 emissions.
If you are galvanized by seeking solutions to hard problems, inspired to combat climate change, and have a “hard hat” in your DNA, contact us today to learn more about Sublime Systems. We are seeking extraordinary scientists, engineers, market and business development strategists, and operations experts to propel innovation and market transformation.
Sublime Systems seeks a research scientist or engineer to contribute to the development of our cement manufacturing process. This contributor will be responsible for conducting research including hands-on lab-scale testing, data analysis, and literature reviews, and will work with the rest of our R&D and engineering teams to scale our technology. As a member of Sublime Systems’ small but growing team, the research scientist or engineer will work closely with the company’s experienced technical team and will make a large impact on the development of our technology. This is an exciting opportunity to combat global climate change by transforming how the world makes cement. This position is located in Somerville, MA.
● Developing and implementing new experimental methods, tools, and approaches to drive the improvement of Sublime’s cement manufacturing process
● Performing lab experiments including synthesis and materials characterization, analyzing data, and presenting results
● Prioritizing and organizing the team’s research activities
● Championing safety, especially in the development of experimental processes
● Contributing to the development of Sublime’s technology through literature reviews and informational interviews with industry experts
● Writing white papers, reports, and patent applications
● Fostering Sublime Systems’ reputation by delivering innovative solutions
● Helping to develop a supportive, innovative, and dynamic company culture
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
The role will focus on material processing, chemical reaction engineering, continuous reactor design, and physical and chemical characterization. This role is expected to be hands-on, with some time spent in the laboratory, and some time spent on design, analysis, prioritization, and communication. The senior research scientist is expected to become an intellectual leader within Sublime’s technical team.The ideal candidate will be independent, results-driven, ambitious, organized, and able to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
● B.S. or M.S. in chemical engineering, materials science, or a related field plus 8 or more years of relevant work experience, OR
Ph.D. in chemical engineering, materials science, or a related field, plus 3 or more years of relevant work experience.
● Deep knowledge of chemical engineering, materials science, and chemistry fundamentals.
● Ability to develop innovative, scalable, economical continuous reactor designs and multiphase aqueous/solid processes.
● Experience with precipitation and dissolution processes is preferred.
● Ability to select, design, and/or apply tools and techniques for physical and chemical characterization of solids and aqueous solutions.
● Experience writing patent applications is preferred.
● Superior presentation and communication skills, both written and verbal.
● Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to listen, distill information, consult, and suggest new approaches.
● Ability to pay close attention to detail, focusing on accuracy and quality, without losing sight of the bigger picture.
● Balance, perspective, and a good sense of humor.
Sublime Systems is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Your Right to Work
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.