Senior Research Scientist – Cement Materials
Somerville, MA /
R&D – Cement Materials /
Background & Overview
Sublime Systems’ mission is to have a swift and massive impact on reducing global CO2 emissions by decarbonizing cement, the key ingredient in concrete. Founded in 2020, Sublime Systems has taken on the challenge of transforming the cement production process. Leading investors including The Engine, Prime Impact Fund, Energy Impact Partners, and Lowercarbon Capital have funded Sublime’s technology, recognizing that this paradigm shift in production has set us on the path to deliver high performance, net-zero solutions to concrete producers, thereby driving gigaton-scale reductions in CO2 emissions.
If you are galvanized by seeking solutions to hard problems, inspired to combat climate change, and have a “hard hat” in your DNA, contact us today to learn more about Sublime Systems. We are seeking extraordinary scientists, engineers, market and business development strategists, and operations experts to propel innovation and market transformation. While our headquarters are in Somerville, MA some of our positions do not require locating in Somerville.
This is an exciting opportunity to transform how the world makes cement. Sublime Systems seeks a senior research scientist to contribute to the development of our cement. This contributor will be responsible for conducting research including hands-on lab-scale testing, data analysis, and literature reviews, and will work with the rest of our team to validate and optimize the performance of our cement. As a member of Sublime Systems’ small but growing team, the senior research scientist will work closely with the company’s leadership and will make a large impact on the technology and business. This is an exciting opportunity to combat global climate change by transforming how the world makes cement.
● Developing new experimental methods and tools to validate and optimize the performance of Sublime’s cement
● Performing lab experiments including cement property measurements, analyzing data, and presenting results
● Devising and implementing strategies to improve cement performance
● Prioritizing and organizing the team’s research activities
● Championing safety, especially in the development of experimental processes
● Contributing to the development of Sublime’s technology through literature reviews and informational interviews with industry experts
● Writing white papers, reports, and patents
● Fostering Sublime Systems’ reputation by delivering innovative solutions
● Helping to develop a supportive, innovative, and dynamic company culture
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
This role will focus on cement performance validation and optimization. The position is expected to be hands-on, with a significant amount of time spent engaging in lab testing. The senior research scientist is expected to become an intellectual leader within Sublime’s technical team. The ideal candidate will be independent, results-driven, ambitious, organized, and able to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
● B.S. or M.S. in civil engineering, materials science, materials chemistry, or a related field, plus 8 or more years of relevant work experience, OR Ph.D. in civil engineering, materials science, materials chemistry, or a related field, plus 3 or more years of relevant work experience.
● Candidates with industrial research experience in cement, concrete, admixtures, or related materials are preferred.
● Deep knowledge of cement and concrete materials chemistry, including reaction mechanisms and material structure-property-function relationships.
● Ability to select, design, and/or apply tools and techniques to measure cement’s key physical and chemical properties.
● Experienced in applying ASTM standard testing methods for cement and concrete materials.
● Knowledge of statistical methods including design of experiments is preferred.
● Experience writing patent applications is preferred.
● Superior presentation and communication skills, both written and verbal.
● Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to listen, distill information, consult, and suggest new approaches.
● Ability to pay close attention to detail, focusing on accuracy and quality, without losing sight of the bigger picture.
● Balance, perspective, and a good sense of humor.
Sublime Systems is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Your Right to Work
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.