Principal Scientist – Cement Materials
Somerville, MA /
R&D – Cement Materials /
Background & Overview
Sublime Systems’ mission is to have a swift and massive impact on reducing global CO2 emissions by decarbonizing cement, the key ingredient in concrete. Founded in 2020, Sublime Systems has taken on the challenge of transforming the cement production process. Leading investors including The Engine, Prime Impact Fund, Energy Impact Partners, and Lowercarbon Capital have funded Sublime’s technology, recognizing that this paradigm shift in production has set us on the path to deliver high performance, net-zero solutions to concrete producers, thereby driving gigaton-scale reductions in CO2 emissions.
If you are galvanized by seeking solutions to hard problems, inspired to combat climate change, and have a “hard hat” in your DNA, contact us today to learn more about Sublime Systems. We are seeking extraordinary scientists, engineers, market and business development strategists, and operations experts to propel innovation and market transformation.
Sublime Systems seeks a principal scientist to drive to the development of our decarbonized cement. The principal scientist will be responsible for setting technical priorities and research strategy, planning and prioritizing research efforts, developing experimental methods, analyzing data, presenting results to internal and external stakeholders, advising other researchers, and driving our efforts to meet aggressive technical milestones. This senior technical leader will be a key intellectual driver of our continuous efforts to validate and optimize the performance of our cement. The principal scientist will work closely with the company’s leadership and will make a large impact on the technology and business. This is an exciting opportunity to combat global climate change by transforming how the world makes cement.
● Conceiving and implementing innovative strategies to improve cement performance
● Prioritizing and organizing the company’s research activities
● Developing new experimental methods and tools to validate and optimize the performance of Sublime’s cement
● Tasking R&D Technicians and advising younger researchers
● Analyzing data and presenting results to internal and external stakeholders
● Championing safety, especially in the development of experimental processes
● Leading the development of Sublime’s technology through deep knowledge of cement and concrete properties and performance, connections with industry experts, and
● Writing white papers, reports, grant applications, and patent applications
● Helping to develop a supportive, innovative, and dynamic company culture
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
The principal scientist will be a senior technical leader on Sublime Systems’ team. The principal scientist will be comfortable getting hands-on in the laboratory to develop new experimental methods and guide R&D Technicians, but will spend the majority of their time on research strategy, planning and prioritization, data analysis, and intellectual leadership. Ideal candidates will be highly innovative, independent, results-driven, ambitious, organized, and able to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
● B.S. or M.S. in civil engineering, materials science, materials chemistry, or a related field, plus 12 or more years of relevant work experience, OR
Ph.D. in civil engineering, materials science, materials chemistry, or a related field, plus 8 or more years of relevant work experience.
● Government or industrial research experience in cement, concrete, admixtures, or related materials is required.
● Demonstrated success in developing innovative technologies, materials, or products.
● Expert knowledge of cement and concrete materials chemistry, including reaction mechanisms and material structure-property-function relationships.
● Ability to select, design, apply, and/or invent new tools and techniques to measure cement and concrete’s properties and performance.
● Extensive knowledge of ASTM and ACI standards and committees relevant to cement and concrete materials.
● Expertise in statistical methods including design of experiments.
● Experience writing patent applications is highly preferred.
● Superior presentation and communication skills, both written and verbal.
● Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to listen, distill information, consult, and suggest new approaches.
● Ability to pay close attention to detail, focusing on accuracy and quality, without losing sight of the bigger picture.
● Balance, perspective, and a good sense of humor.
Sublime Systems is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Your Right to Work
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.