Associate Research Scientist or Engineer – Cement and Concrete Materials
Somerville, MA /
R&D – Cement Materials /
Background & Overview
Sublime Systems’ mission is to have a swift and massive impact on reducing global CO2 emissions by decarbonizing cement, the key ingredient in concrete. Founded in 2020, Sublime Systems has taken on the challenge of transforming the cement production process. Leading investors including The Engine, Prime Impact Fund, Energy Impact Partners, and Lowercarbon Capital have funded Sublime’s technology, recognizing that this paradigm shift in production has set us on the path to deliver high performance, net-zero solutions to concrete producers, thereby driving gigaton-scale reductions in CO2 emissions.
If you are galvanized by seeking solutions to hard problems, inspired to combat climate change, and have a “hard hat” in your DNA, contact us today to learn more about Sublime Systems. We are seeking extraordinary scientists, engineers, market and business development strategists, and operations experts to propel innovation and market transformation.
Sublime Systems seeks an associate research scientist or engineer to contribute to the development of our cement and concrete materials. This contributor will be responsible for conducting research including hands-on lab-scale testing, data analysis, and literature reviews, and will work with the rest of our team to validate and optimize the performance of our cement and concrete. The associate research scientist or engineer will work closely with the company’s experienced technical team and will make a large impact on the technology and business. This is an exciting opportunity to combat global climate change by transforming how the world makes cement. This position is located in Somerville, MA.
● Performing lab experiments including cement and concrete property measurements, analyzing data, and presenting results
● Ordering, maintaining, and organizing the laboratory’s supplies, materials, and tools
● Championing safety, especially in the development of experimental processes
● Contributing to the development of Sublime’s technology through literature reviews and informational interviews with industry experts
● Contributing to white papers, reports, and patent applications
● Fostering Sublime Systems’ reputation by delivering innovative solutions
● Helping to develop a supportive, innovative, and dynamic company culture
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
This role will focus on cement performance validation and optimization. The position is expected to be hands-on, with a significant amount of time spent engaging in lab testing. The ideal candidate will be independent, results-driven, ambitious, organized, and able to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
● Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering, materials science, materials chemistry, or a related field.
● Basic knowledge of materials chemistry and mechanical properties of materials.
● Experience working in a chemistry, materials science, or engineering laboratory.
● Ability to carefully follow established procedures to prepare test materials and measure key physical and chemical properties of cement and concrete.
● Candidates with research experience in cement, concrete, admixtures, and/or related materials are preferred.
● Ability to lift objects up to 50 lbs.
● Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
● Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to listen, distill information, consult, and suggest new approaches.
● Ability to pay close attention to detail, focusing on accuracy and quality, without losing sight of the bigger picture.
● Balance, perspective, and a good sense of humor.
Sublime Systems is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Your Right to Work
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.