VP/Head of Business and Operations Development
Somerville, MA /
Business Development – BD Lead /
Background & Overview
Sublime Systems’ mission is to have a swift and massive impact on reducing global CO2 emissions by decarbonizing cement, the key ingredient in concrete. Founded in 2020, Sublime Systems has taken on the challenge of transforming the cement production process. Leading investors including The Engine, Prime Impact Fund, Energy Impact Partners, and Lowercarbon Capital have funded Sublime’s technology, recognizing that this paradigm shift in production has set us on the path to deliver high performance, net-zero solutions to concrete producers, thereby driving gigaton-scale reductions in CO2 emissions.
If you are galvanized by seeking solutions to hard problems, inspired to combat climate change, and have a “hard hat” in your DNA, contact us today to learn more about Sublime Systems. We are seeking extraordinary scientists, engineers, market and business development strategists, and operations experts to propel innovation and market transformation. While our headquarters are in Somerville, MA some of our positions do not require locating in Somerville.
This is an exciting opportunity to transform how the world makes cement. Sublime Systems seeks a business development professional to:
- Be the operational focal point for the company’s business development initiatives.
- Lead formulation and refinement of business development, go-to-market, supply chain, and partnerships strategy together with the executive team and advisors.
- Conceive, organize, and execute multi-sector partnerships along the value chain that will make Sublime the industry leader in low carbon cement, including initial product sales.
- Own the competitive landscape analysis and participate in market research and opportunity discovery
- Mentor and develop people across the organization, while ensuring exceptional team dynamics.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
The ideal candidate has:
● Demonstrated ability to successfully lead teams within a dynamic, evolving environment.
● Experience forming strategic business partnerships and negotiating deals that span business development and sales, from term sheets/MOUs, joint development agreements, and joint ventures, to stacking up purchase orders from customers.
● Ability to negotiate difficult deals in commodity markets where margins are thin and relationships are important.
● At least three years of senior leadership experience, preferably in a startup
● Experience working in cement, concrete, construction, or a commodity industry preferred
● Willingness to travel up to half the time.
● Leadership mentality: highly motivated, able to set aggressive goals for self and department and meet goals.
● Accountable: methodically organized, transparently reporting on progress, and collaboratively adjusting approach when facing bumps in the road.
● Humble/self-aware: easy to work with, able to give and receive feedback constructively and respectfully.
● Technical orientation: while an engineering education is not required, the ability to thrive in a technical environment is critical.
● Strategic orientation: capable of helping iterate on corporate and go-to-market strategy based on learning from the market, identifying partnership archetypes that would help accelerate the business and go into the market and acquire them.
● Analytical: able to understand and model value creation for customers, help assess and set optimal pricing, and let numbers drive discussions.
● Resourceful: Able to thrive in an unstructured environment where supporting resources may not be readily available and must be identified and set up.
Sublime’s employees are vested in a high-potential success story, with competitive compensation, benefits, and comprehensive PTO and leave policies, complemented by stock options in a high-growth start-up company with world-class venture capital backing.
Sublime Systems is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Your Right to Work
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.