Process Engineering Manager
Somerville, MA /
Engineering – Process Engineering Manager /
Background & Overview
Sublime Systems is a technology company commercializing affordable, ultra-low-carbon cement. Sublime's breakthrough replaces the industry's legacy fossil fuel-fired kilns with an electrochemical system that operates at ambient temperature, eliminating the use of fossil fuel and the need for limestone, resulting in low-carbon, low-embodied energy cement. This technology has the potential to drive gigaton-scale CO2 reductions in an industry responsible for 8 percent of global emissions. Sublime is backed by mission-aligned investors, including The Engine, Prime Impact Fund, Energy Impact Partners, and Lowercarbon Capital. We are building a diverse and collaborative team of folks who are "amped about cement" (pun intended), who share our values (excellence, creativity, and teamwork), and our motivation to create a better world.
This is an exciting opportunity to transform how the world makes cement. Sublime Systems seeks a creative and dynamic leader to drive thescale up of Sublime’s process technology. This role will lead a team of process engineers and collaborate with leaders in R&D and Engineering with the ultimate responsibility of leading tech transfer from pilot scale to demo/commercial scale.
- Manage, mentor, and develop a team of highly talented process engineers
- Ultimate responsibility for developing demonstration scale (and subsequent commercial scale) Basic Engineering Packages (BEP) for the integrated Sublime process
- Scope and track all process scale up efforts including but not limited to:
- Novel unit operation scale-up roadmaps
- Technoeconomic modeling
- Process Design Package Development
- Mass & Energy Balance modeling
- Collaborate with R&D and pilot teams to ensure experimental design and data results generate information required to support scale-up engineering activities as well as reduce/eliminate risks on the company risk register.
- Track process KPI’s (e.g. reactor conversion, utility consumption, etc.) across R&D, pilot, and demo scale ensuring all KPI’s are linked to the commercial technoeconomic model
- Continue to foster and grow a strong collaborative culture between engineering and R&D departments
- Own project specific budgets and schedules
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
- The ideal candidate has a strong knowledge of and passion for applying engineering fundamentals combined with a passion for talent development and project management. Successful candidates will be results-driven, ambitious, organized, and able to thrive in a fast-paced environment with shifting priorities.
- B.S. in chemical engineering, mechanical engineering, industrial engineering, or a related field with 15+ years of process engineering experience with 5+ years of team management experience
- Demonstrated experience developing scaling a novel process technology from pilot to commercial scale with specific experience in developing Basic Engineering Packages (BEPs) and/or Front End Engineering Design (FEED) packages.
- Demonstrated experience progressing process development and design with incomplete or imperfect information via risk based design and decision making.
- Previous experience in novel process development and scale up a plus
- Demonstrated experience scoping/tracking/executingengineering work to outside engineering firms, EPCs, industry consultants, and other 3rd party stakeholders
- Versatile. Capable of scoping and tracking efforts at a managerial level, but capable and willing to roll up sleeves and contribute to technical work. Ability to transition from detail oriented mindset to high level concepts regularly.
- Superior presentation and communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to listen, distill information, consult, and suggest new approaches.
- Ability to pay close attention to detail, focusing on accuracy and quality, without losing sight of the bigger picture.
- Balance, perspective, and a good sense of humor.
Sublime Systems is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Research suggests that qualified people from historically marginalized groups may self-select out of opportunities if they don't meet 100% of the job requirements. We encourage individuals who believe they have the skills necessary to thrive to apply for this role.
Your Right to Work
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment.