Research Scientist – Cement Materials
Somerville, MA /
R&D – Cement Materials /
Background & Overview
Sublime Systems is a technology company commercializing affordable, ultra low-carbon cement that can be used in virtually any application under existing standards. Sublime's breakthrough process replaces the industry's legacy fossil fuel-fired kilns with an electrochemical system that operates at ambient temperature and eliminates the use of fossil fuel and limestone, resulting in a zero-carbon, low-embodied energy cement. This technology has the potential to drive gigaton-scale reductions in an industry responsible for 8 percent of global emissions. Sublime is backed by mission-aligned investors, including The Engine, Prime Impact Fund, Energy Impact Partners, and Lowercarbon Capital. We are building a diverse and collaborative team of folks who are "amped about cement" (pun intended), who share our values of excellence, creativity, and teamwork, and our motivation to create a better world.
Sublime Systems seeks a research scientist to contribute to the development of our cement. This contributor will be responsible for conducting research including hands-on lab-scale testing, data analysis, and literature reviews, and will work with the rest of our team to validate and optimize the performance of our cement. The research scientist will work closely with the company’s experienced technical team and will make a large impact on the technology and business. This is an exciting opportunity to combat global climate change by transforming how the world makes cement.
● Implementing experimental methods and tools to validate and optimize the performance of Sublime’s cement
● Performing lab experiments including cement property measurements, analyzing data, and presenting results
● Testing and implementing strategies to improve cement performance
● Championing safety, especially in the development of experimental processes
● Contributing to the development of Sublime’s technology through literature reviews and informational interviews with industry experts
● Contributing to white papers, reports, and patent applications
● Fostering Sublime Systems’ reputation by delivering innovative solutions
● Helping to develop a supportive, innovative, and dynamic company culture
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
This role will focus on cement performance validation and optimization. The position is expected to be hands-on, with a significant amount of time spent engaging in lab testing. The ideal candidate will be independent, results-driven, ambitious, organized, and able to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
● B.S. or M.S. in civil engineering, materials science, materials chemistry, or a related field, plus 3 or more years of relevant work experience, OR Ph.D. in civil engineering, materials science, materials chemistry, or a related field
● Candidates with research experience in cement, concrete, admixtures, glass ceramics, nanomaterials, and/or related materials are preferred.
● Knowledge of materials chemistry, kinetics, thermodynamics, and structure-property-function relationships.
● Ability to select, design, and apply tools and techniques to measure key physical and chemical properties of cement and concrete materials.
● Knowledge of statistical methods including design of experiments is preferred.
● Superior presentation and communication skills, both written and verbal.
● Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to listen, distill information, consult, and suggest new approaches.
● Ability to pay close attention to detail, focusing on accuracy and quality, without losing sight of the bigger picture.
● Balance, perspective, and a good sense of humor.
Sublime Systems is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Research suggests that qualified people from historically marginalized groups may self-select out of opportunities if they don't meet 100% of the job requirements. We encourage individuals who believe they have the skills necessary to thrive to apply for this role.
Your Right to Work
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.