New York, New York /
Communications – Public Relations /
Do you have a talent for finding news stories inside of complex data sets? Do you have impeccable news judgement, and are always asking "what's the best way to tell this story"? Are you passionate about providing data visualization content that will be shared all around the world? Do you have fun creating interesting visual experiences inside of maps and tables that bring data to life?
If so, you could be an exceptional Data Journalist.
TOP Global is seeking a Data Journalist who will pitch, edit and report data-driven stories. An individual who can transform tables into storytelling and who isn't scared of poking around inside a database. A successful candidate will be able to dive deep into industry trends, financial reports and economics data and weave information together to create a compelling narrative. In this role, you will be creating visual materials that will be added to our news sites, TOP Data and National Today. Both are primary data sources for hundreds of leading media outlets around the world including CNN, Forbes, Business Insider, and Politico.
- Conceive and build interactive data visualizations
- Break down complex, multi-part investigations into digestible pieces for audience through innovative storytelling devices that visually summarize large concepts
- Collaborate with designers, analysts, and editors to create turn both breaking news graphics and develop longer-term, data-driven reporting.
- Build new forms of storytelling devices to illustrate ideas that are usually best communicated with text alone
- Work with reporters to tease out the best stories to tell from a given dataset
- Keep abreast of trends in digital storytelling, as well as programming techniques
- Assist both seasoned and inexperienced PR professionals to improve their data research.
- 3+ years of newsroom experience or comparable data / visualization experience
- Desire to push storytelling forward and the ability to think creatively about how we use data in the service of journalism.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Portfolio of data visualizations / code builds demonstrating solid experience in developing clear, compelling stories from complex datasets.
- A solid understanding of data analysis techniques and a working knowledge of data mining and web scraping.
- Some understanding of database and statistical languages such as SQL, R, Stata and/or Python pandas desired.
- A familiarity with a variety of data visualization and mapping tools, such as Datawrapper and Highcharts, and advanced visualization skills in tools such as Tableau and D3.js
- BS, or BFA in creative design, design, statistics, journalism, engineering
- A strong background in journalism is preferred
About TOP Global
We’re not a traditional marketing agency. We've become the world's fastest-growing PR, social, and digital agency because of our unique story-based and data-driven approach. If you want the feel of a fast-growing startup with the variety of client work that comes from a top agency, then you've come to the right place.
At TOP, we're also a close-knit family. Our team of world-class writers, communicators, storytellers, data wranglers, and viral marketers feels like the early days of Facebook or Google... we're a rocketship taking flight and we'd love to have you join us for the ride.